My Best Birthday

On the 24th of November, I woke up with six faces leaning over me yelling “Happy birthday!” I screamed and pulled the covers over my face. The six began singing. I looked up. Daphne, Astoria, Vivienne, Helen, Tracey and (surprisingly) Pansy were singing. Daphne and Astoria were dancing around the room. I swear those girls can dance to anything. Pansy was singing with narrowed eyes and a frown but she was still singing, Tracey, Vivienne and Helen were laughing and clapping. When they were done, Astoria ran up to me and handed me a pale blue wrapped box. “Open ours first!” she said. I jumped out of the bed laughing. “Can I at least get up?” I said laughing. Daphne said: “No. Now come on, you have alot of presents.” Daphne and Astoria’s present was a book called ‘One Million Pranks to Prank Pranksters’. Vivienne, Helen and Tracey (and they were nice enough to say it was from Pansy too) had bought me a perfume called Midnight; an almost black bottle with tiny stars and a full moon on it. The decorator apparently had taken quite a bit of time to do the bottle, because each star of the constellation of Orion and The Dog were perfect. I could see The Three Sisters, Bellatrix, Saiph, Sirius, Betelgeuse and several others. A few boys from the group we’re friends with had gotten me (what I suspected was a randomly picked) book. I’d read it already but I was touched nonetheless. Arrianne had bought for me Jinxes for the Jinxed, which had been out for ages and I hadn’t been able to get it. Zayn had sent me a card (since he’d already got me the necklace) and I was in an excellent mood. 

Another present was a moving model of Gwendolyn Morgan, 1953 Captain of The Holyhead Harpies, my favourite player in history, mainly for a game she played against The Heidelberg Harriers, after which she concussed the opposite Captain with her Cleansweep 5 after he proposed to her. It was from McLaggen. I nearly died. I hadn't realised I’d made such an impression talking to him at Slughorn’s parties. Nor could I believe that he’d actually remembered my birthday. My last present was from my parents and brother. It was a long, full sleeved black dress with a velvet lace over it. Happy birthday Eve! Wear it for Christmas? it said in a neat but elaborate cursive. My brothers handwriting. That meant I’d be going home for Christmas. Usually I’m at Hogwarts. I was ecstatic. 

I dressed quickly and actually ran to eat breakfast. At breakfast, Arrianne and her best friend, Penny, came to wish me personally. Penny is this tiny, pixie-like girl with chin length dark brown hair and huge eyes the colour of lavenders in the sun. 

I looked at the Gryffindor table. McLaggen wasn’t there. He must be outside, flying, since today was actually a great day outside. I excused myself and went to look for him. He was outside. I waited until he came down. “Hey,” he grinned. I bit my lip. “Look, Cormac, we cant… uh, be… friends,” I said awkwardly. His brow furrowed. “Why not?” he asked. I looked at my shoes and said: “It’s just that, I mean, i do like you, but I don’t really like you, that way. And besides, you’re a Gryffindor. That’s really bad for me. I mean, I’m almost THE Slytherin girl. How would it look if I had to go out with a Gryffindor?” To my surprise, Cormac laughed. “You thought I liked you?” He laughed again and shook his head. “I do like you, I think you’re amazing, but not the way you thought. Infact, I’m going out with someone already.” I blinked awkwardly. “Oh.” I let out a shaky laugh. “Oh! Thank heavens!” I said. We both laughed. “Thanks for the present by the way.” “Yeah, happy birthday,” he said. I went away after that, feeling even better. To up my mood, Ginny Weasley (much to the surprise of her friends) came to wish me as I was walking away. 

In our free period, I just relaxed in the common room. Halfway through, Malfoy walked in. I’d forgotten about him. He walked in and sat by me. “Happy birthday,” he said quietly. I smiled at him. “Thanks,” I said. “He handed me a small box. “I bought you a gift,” he said. I toolkit eagerly and opened it. It was a ring. A blue fire opal with a snake wrapped around it. I took it out, astounded and slipped it on my left hand index finger. It fitted perfectly. “Zayn Osman said you liked fire opals,” he said. “I do. Thank you so much!” i said. I actually hugged him. He looked surprised, but hugged me back after a moment. 

I didn’t think my day could get any better. I thought it was perfect, that nothing bad could happen. Little did I know how wrong I was, and that something would happen that day that would turn it from the best day of my life into the worst.