The Confrontation

Malfoy wasn’t there when I entered the common room, which was fine with me. I needed a little while to mentally prepare myself for what I was sure would be an accusation coming from him. I stared at the fireplace, trying to burn the ghostly image of Katie out of my mind. Finally, Malfoy walked in. Alone. “Hi,” I said, standing up to meet him. He narrowed his eyes at me. Oh, I’d forgotten that we were still fighting. “Hi,” he replied stiffly. “Can I talk to you?” I asked. He gestured around him. “Isn’t that what we’re doing?” he asked. “Alone.” I clarified. He sighed like he knew this was coming and walked out. I followed him out to an empty classroom. I shut the door behind me and turned to face him.

He looked at me expectantly. I took a deep breath and said what was probably the first and last time I would ever say these words. “I’m sorry!” I blurted out. “You’re... sorry?” he asked slowly. “I’m sorry.” I repeated. He looked at me like I was mad, then suddenly grinned. “I can’t believe you said that,” he said, laughing. “Neither can I,” I said, horrified. “So we’re friends again. Good.” “Uh, that’s not all. I needed to ask you something.” He waited for me to say something else. “Do you remember that day I found out your... secret?” He narrowed his eyes. “How could I forget?” he asked a little coldly. “Well, I found out something also today. Also about you.” I said. I hesitated, wondering how to put it. “And are you going to tell me?” he asked. “You said I could help you. And I’ve found somethings I think might be useful to you. But I can’t help you if you won’t tell me everything.” I said. “Fine,” he said. He walked aver to the door. “Then don’t.”

“Wait! I know it was you who hurt Katie today.” His hand wavered close to the doorknob. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He reached for the door. “The day I found out what you were doing you told me you had a job to do. You have to kill someone at Hogwarts, don’t you? That’s why you had to become this, isn’t it? That’s why he chose you. It’s because no-one else can enter Hogwarts.” He glared daggers at me. “If you care for the life of your family and yourself, you’ll stop accidentally finding things out about me, Emma.” He turned the doorknob. “Potter knows what you are. He knows, and so do I. Except that he doesn’t have any confirmation. I do.” I said. Malfoy shut the door and turned to me. “So, Professor Evergreen. You think I’m doing this?” he asked. “No,” I said. “I know you are.”

He looked at me lamely. “You’re crazy,” he said flatly. When he reached for the doorknob again, I was ready. In a fluid motion, I locked the door with the charm. He whipped out his wand but I disarmed him the second he did and caught it. I pointed bot wands at his chest. “You’re going to tell me the truth,” I said. “Well, since you’re so clever, what do you want to know?” He asked, sneering at me. “I want to hear you say it.” I said. He glared me.”I want to help you, Malfoy, but I can’t unless you tell me everything.” I said. He glowered at me and didn’t answer. “Say it!” I yelled at him. “Fine! I have to kill him, okay?! I have to kill Dumbledore so that I can live my life in peace. Now you know everything, Emma. Do you want to know what he looks like? How he tortured me? How much he really frightens me? Do you want to know how he forced me to do this job, Emma? Do you?” He was shouting now, and was paler than I’d ever seen anyone. “It’s not safe for you or me. You can’t know all of my secrets, Emma.” I handed him his wand. “No, I guess I shouldn’t.” I said. I tried to process everything that happened. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair on you.” I said. He laughed darkly. “No-one said life was fair.”