Hey, Look! A Dragon!

The dwarves had reached the base of the mountain and began their journey up to the top. Being near the top, they came across a ruined city. Y/n gazed over the demolished buildings, almost picturing the tragedy that happened there.

"What is this place?" asked Bilbo.

"It was once the city of Dale. Now it is a ruin. The Desolation of Smaug," Balin answered. Y/n felt something in her chest, almost a tug in her chest, almost as if she felt the destruction that occured years ago.

"The sun will soon reach midday. We must find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way," Thorin said, as he and the other dwarves began to leave.

Bilbo didn't follow, but instead spoke, "Wait. Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here, on no account were we to…"

"Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the wizard. We’re on our own. Come." Y/n shrugged as her and Bilbo began to walk again.

*TIME SKIP*

The Company reached an area, where there stood tall, stoic statues of dwarves in armor. Y/n began to search around for the secret when Bilbo called to the others, signalling he found something. Y/n followed his voice, and saw some kind of zig zag stairs, that were on a steep incline, built into one of the statues. Y/n gulped once she saw the complicated staircase.

"You have keen eyes, Master Baggins," Thorin smiled, clapping Bilbo on the shoulder. The dwarves all went to the staircase, while Y/n just flew up, arriving at their destination long before the dwarves. She searched for the hidden door, or keyhole, while she waited.

"This must be it. The hidden door," Thorin stated as he and the others arrived. "Let all those who doubted us, rue this day!" He held up the key given to him by Gandalf and the dwarves cheered.

"Hey, we have a key." Dwalin began touching the wall. "Which means somewhere, there is a keyhole." The other dwarves copied Dwalin's actions, searching for the keyhole.

"The last light of Durin’s Day…will shine upon the keyhole..." Thorin whispered. He then turned to Nori and directed him towards the wall. Nori went over, pressing his ear against the stone and tapping a spoon against the rock. The tension settled in the air as Dwalin began to hit the wall with his leg. After several trials and errors, they still couldn't find a keyhole and the sun set behind the hills.

"No!" Thorin growled, going to the wall. "The last light of Durin’s Day…will shine upon the keyhole. What did we miss? Balin."

Balin sighed in defeat. "We’ve lost the light. There’s no more to be done. We had but one chance. Come away, lads. It’s over." They began to walk away, and Y/n looked at Bilbo, who was thinking the same thing.

"You can't leave! Come on! I didn't come all this way to just give up!" Y/n exclaimed. Thorin turned to face her, his face sunken in sadness. He pulled up her hand, placing the key in her palm before sulking away from them. Y/n seemed shocked as she turned to Bilbo, who was already searching for more clues. He muttered things to himself, and Y/n turned towards the hills which the sun set behind. When she heard a slight clunk, she spun around, seeing a thrush hitting something against a rock.

"When the thrush knocks, and the setting sun. And the last light of Durin’s Day will shine..." Y/n whispered. She gasped suddenly, startling the poor hobbit.

"What?" he questioned.

"Durin's Day isn't over! The last light of Durin's Day is..." she paused, seeing a silvery light shine on the wall, revealing a keyhole. "The moon! Thorin! Thorin, it's here! The keyhole is here!" Y/n laughed. Seconds later, Thorin and the other dwarves appeared from around the corner, seeing Y/n's giddy state as she pointed to the keyhole. She bit her bottom lip to stop herself from smiling - not that it helped - and handed the key to Thorin. He took the key, smiling softly, and inserted it into the keyhole. Suddenly, a door beside the keyhole opened, leading to a dark passageway.