17. BEST FRIEND

chapter seventeen:
best friend

chapter seventeen:best friend

»»»»»

when polly and posie were eight years old, they discovered the entrance to the attic at the cooper house. over the years, they would sneak up there whenever they wanted to be alone. but they had to stop after polly had 'run away' after a fight with her parents, and everyone had figured out their hiding spot.

so when betty informed posie that her best friend had broken through the window of the troubled youth home, she knew she wasn't far.

but in order to catch a moment alone with polly, she would have to play along, get everyone out of the house and sneak up to the attic as quick as she could. it proved to be a pretty easy task when it finally came down to it, especially when betty suggested searching the forest. after mariposa convinced them she needed to stay home with AJ, reminding them to send her hourly updates, and eventually she was alone in the house.

alone with polly that is.

the second the lock clicked in the front door the brunette ran back up the stairs to her room. she gently lifted her happy baby into her arms and left into the hallway again. she braced herself before pulling the hatch to the attic, and lifting the ladder. climbing the steps with a baby was no easy task, but she got through it, pulling the ladder in behind her.

she plugged her nose with her free hand. the attic smelt like wet mold, definitely not as pleasing as the rest of the house. she took a deep breath and slid her phone out of her back pocket, swiping open the control center and pressing the flashlight. she shone the bright light around the area, calling polly's name lightly.

"hey polls? it's just me, come on," she whispered, adjusting AJ to be more comfortable on her hip.

a soft tap on mariposa's shoulder startled her from her trance, and she whipped around to see none other than polly cooper, her best friend since forever, pregnant, alone and bleeding.

"posie" the girl croaked.

"oh my god, what happened to you?"

"i had to smash the window, i got cut or something. what's with the baby"

mariposa sighed and moved polly and gestured her to sit on a musty armchair that could've been at least twenty years old.

"this is my baby polls. mine and jason's" posie said, her eyes avoiding pollys face, afraid of her expression.

"oh posa, i'm so sorry" the blonde girl started to cry.

the brunette frowned and wrapped her free arm as best she could around polly's shoulders. she squeezed her best friend as tight as she could muster.

"it's not your fault" she assured the girl, "you didn't know this was gonna happen"

she was referring to her two best friends' elaborate plan to run away. no one could've predicted the horrid outcome to a silly little runaway plan made by two teenagers. but when mariposa noticed the look she was getting from polly she had a feeling that's not what she was apologizing for.

"what?" she questioned as polly slowly retracted from her embrace.

"mariposa i'm so sorry,"

the brunette squinted, "you already said that, what- what are you so sorry for?"

"my baby... it's also jason's baby"

mariposa laughed, knowing full well it wasn't funny. but she had a hard time believing the girl, "i'm not in the mood for jokes polly,"

the blonde averted her gaze to adelaine's face as silent tears fell down her cheeks, "and i'm not lying mariposa. i'm really sorry. but you were gone and i-"

"no. no!" the brunette exclaimed, standing up aggressively. "jason would not do that to me- you, would not do that to me, you just wouldn't!"

polly continued her attempts at apologizing and explaining herself to mariposa, but it was no use. the other girl had already taken herself and her baby back down the hatch of the attic, leaving polly hiding alone again.

»

the brunette had invited evie over. she couldn't be alone in the house with polly- she didn't want to be. she just needed a distraction.

so the other girl had come over to watch the television. there was nothing good on really, so they mostly had just been talking while the news played in the background. AJ was upstairs, taking an afternoon nap.

"i just can't believe it eve, she's been my best friend since we were kids. now we have kids!" posie ranted.

she'd been trying not to cry about it all day. the words echoed in her ears. it's also jason's baby. they were like a stab to the heart.

mariposa had been lied to and betrayed so many times within the last year and now the two people she least expected had practically stabbed her in the back.

evie nodded her head, "posie they had no right to do that to you." she stated.

"just because i was gone. that hurts even more" she said, turning up the volume on the television. "ugh, i can't even think about it anymore"

evie smirked, "that's something i can help with. i actually want to talk to you about that sophomore you're always talking to, sia,"

mariposa cocked her eyebrow at her friend, "yeah? what about her?"

evie bit her lip and looked around the room to make sure no one else was around, "she's really pretty pose, i think i like her,"

mariposa slowly grinned and grabbed the other girl by the shoulders, "stop it!" she exclaimed excitedly, "i'm definitely introducing you!"

"posie! i can't do that!" evie said.

"why not?" mariposa questioned with a smiled, already knowing the answer.

"because i'm nervous," she replied eliciting a giggle from the brunette, "stop laughing pose," evie grumbled playfully.

mariposa tried to repress her smile, turning back to the television. her eyes widened when she noticed the cooper family in front of a bunch of reporters. she grabbed the remote once more and turned up the volume even more than she had before.

"my daughter polly is pregnant with jason's baby, and my adopted daughter mariposa gave birth to his two months ago"

»»»»»

an
UM HI I HAVENT POSTED A CHAPTER IN SO LONG!!
but plots heating up and i'm so excited for the drama between polly and posie, the upcoming moments between posie and cheryl.

also just the baby shower episode i'm so excited for!!