5. RIVER

chapter five:
river

chapter five:river

»»»»»

alice shook posie lightly as she slept away in her bed.

"mariposa, mariposa, quick get dressed!"

"what?" mariposa was sleepy, and she was obviously confused.

"it's jason. they found his body in the river. he was shot" alice told her quickly.

that got her shooting out of her bed.

"what!" she exclaimed, more alarmed than confused at that point.

"let's go, we have to get to the river!"

mariposa spring out of her bed and dug ran to the closet for some clothes.

"what about adelaine?" she asked

"hal will stay here, now hurry!"

»

no amount of words could even begin to describe the pain mariposa felt. she watched her former boyfriend and her baby's father's body as it was dragged from the river. tears ran down her face more than ever. she always prepared herself in case he'd never showed up again, but seeing him dead just made it feel all too real. what wouldn't she give to just go back one year?

one year ago they were just meeting. one year ago she wasn't a mother. one year ago it was all just roses and sunshine. why couldn't it be one year ago? maybe she wouldn't have gotten that drunk at that party. maybe she wouldn't have slept with jason so soon.

her one mistake was just a chain reaction of unfortunate consequences. but in the moment it just felt so right. and a few months after, before all the symptoms, she just felt so right with him. until she was sent away.

sent away to the sisters. because her step dad found out. had she run away before eric discovered her secret, would she have had more time with jason?

all she wanted was to have one more hour with him. one
more minute. one more second.

why her? why did it have to be her? why couldn't she have a normal family, normal relationship, a normal life?

she felt nothing but hurt, and pain.

oh how greatly she missed jason. and she wouldn't heal from those wounds anytime soon.

»

although seeing him at the river almost made her change her mind, posie still felt it was time to go back to school the following monday. she sat on the bench in the windowsill of her bedroom, rocking little AJ. she had decided last minute to wear jason's riverdale athletic department hoodie. one of the things she
got from her moms house before she moved in with the coopers. even though putting it one felt like she was just reliving old memories , it made her feel like maybe she had a part of him with her, since she wouldn't see their baby until after school.

over the hoodie she wore a denim jacket and paired it with ripped black jeans, which she rolled up at the bottom. of course her black boots that polly gave her for her sixteenth birthday. she'd even dressed up adelaine, though her baby obviously wouldn't be coming to school with her. instead she'd be with christian, who'd graduated the year before, and was taking a semester off of college so he could help his little sister integrate back into her normal life.

in fact, many of the people in her life did things to help her after adelaine was born. luca hung out with her and betty. alice and hal gave her a place to live. christian offered to babysit. but not leanne. mariposa wanted noting to do with her mother, so she didn't get involved.

"hey posie! don't tell my mom but i'm gonna walk to school with archie" betty said quietly, walking into posie's room.

"why?" the older girl wondered. "don't you want to get a ride with me?"

"it's hard to explain, but i'll tell you later" betty said quickly before dashing out of the room and down the hall to the stairs.

posie sighed. oh betty, so much to learn.

she figured she should probably drop off adelaine and pick up luca soon otherwise they'd be late. she brought her baby downstairs and said her goodbyes and good lucks with hal and alice. after AJ was properly in her car seat she made the drive to her childhood home which was luckily only a block away.

christian and luca came out of the house upon seeing mariposa pull up.

leanne looked towards the front lawn from behind the curtains in her bedroom window. she felt so much guilt anytime she even thought of mariposa, and seeing her daughter hand her baby to christian just made her feel even more regret. that should've been her babysitting that baby. she worked from home, it would've been perfect. but she chose her fiancé over her daughter, and she was still paying the price for it.

"thanks chris" mariposa smiled, falling into a hug with her older brother. "i miss you so much"

christian pulled his baby sister tighter. "i miss you too mar, but i'm lucky i get to spend the day with AJ. now go, before you're late"

she pulled out of the hug and gave an out her quick smile. her and luca got into her car and she began the drive to school.

»»»»»

an

hey guys! so i said there'd be a chapter this week then i forgot lol so this has been just sitting for the last few days even though it was completed