PROLOGUE

───── a memory, five years from the present

"how many times am i going to repeat the same story? you're not learning!"

the scolding rang across the entire rink.

"it's been months and you are still caught up on the same thing!"

i could clearly see the somber look on the boy's face. with his head bowed down, he slid across the ice floor once again. he attempted a jump, the same one he's been repeating the entire time he was here and failed once again. he laid motionless on the icy surface, seemingly frozen like the floor he laid on. the cold did not seem to bother him. it took a few moments until he stood back up again and skated to the side near where i sat.

the boy stood still on the sidelines, his head hung low and his fists clenched tight. he was upset and i know it because i saw my mother wore that kind of expression before.

"here, take this," i reached out a piece of chocolate to the boy.

he looked at me questioningly.

"chocolate makes sad people happy. you're sad... no, you're upset so here you go, a piece of chocolate," i offered the chocolate again with a smile. "you know, it won't hurt to accept a piece of chocolate. my arms are starting to hurt," i complained at him.

reluctantly, he took the candy from my hand although he was still clearly confused.

"why?"

"can't i?"

"no, i mean... why are you giving me this? i don't even know you."

"the best way to comfort strangers is to show them generosity. you looked too upset on yourself, and it's sad."

"i can't help it. i keep repeating the same mistake for the past few months and i still see no improvement," he unconsciously confided his thoughts to me, although it was already evident enough with his actions.

"that's because you're not exactly trying to improve yourself. you're irritated and mad at yourself that you can't focus on the mistakes," i spoke my honest thoughts. "you won't get better unless you free yourself and accept the mistakes wholeheartedly. you're only suffocating yourself by blindly running into one goal of accomplishing that stunt."

he looked into my eyes, seemingly taken aback by my blunt thoughts.

"but i can't really say i'm right because i don't know you and i'm just a kid. i can only say what i think based on how you appear to me."

"no." he interjected. "you're right."

at that moment, his eyes were teary, but he fought the urge to cry.

"don't fear failing because we all need to learn something once in a while. when you fall, let it be. when you're ready to stand up again, do so. this time stand up with grace," i told him, smiling widely.

he was about to open his mouth and say something, but the coach's voice rang across the rink once again, distracting him. as much as i wanted to continue watching him glide across the icy floor like an ice fairy, i turned my back to leave as i caught sight of my mother getting ready to leave.

keep skating with grace, ice boy.

────────────NOTES─────────────

the events that transpired within this story is set on an alternate universe, thus it is not necessarily in synchrony with the real world timeline. the academic period mentioned in this story is written according to an alternative interpretation of the writer and does not resonate with the academic calendars in korea.

truth be told, i have just reviewed the time progression of this story and found errors within the plot timeline. i'm afraid fixing the story from the beginning would turn out quite messy, so i won't bother with it for now. please forgive this lazy ass and enjoy with grace!