Chapter 9

.:. Okay, you'll probably hate me because of this chapter, but it's all part of the plot and what not, so don't kill me please!  I would really appreciate it if you guys could recommend this story to some of your fans and friends.  I would really appreciate it!  Oh, and I did give little hints about what's about to happen throughout the first part of the story...  you guys just never saw them :)  Please comment, vote, fan, and recommend!  Oh, and this chapter is dedicated to love96 and our random conversation that we may or may not have had over the wattpad chat :)

Chapter 9

        I sigh in contentment as I sit in the back of my car munching on a glazed donut with Thomas beside me on the leather seat.  The sunroof was open and we are just staring at the stars up above.  The sky was clear and we can just make out a sliver of the full moon that shines proudly down at us.  The little white stars seem to twinkle in delight at the sight of us.

        "What are you thinking?" he whispers to me and I smile at him through the dim air.

        "I'm thinking about my favor," I answer honestly.  A blush creeps into my cheeks as I quickly take a drink of hot chocolate to cover it up. The hot liquid flowing down my throat just makes me blush harder as the heat fills me up.

        "Oh and what's your favor?"  He turns a little in the seat so he can look at me with his brown eyes.  My eyes involuntarily look at his lips and I look quickly up at the stars, embarrassed once again.  A blanket of quietness settled into the car making me feel awkward.  I squirm a little in my seat and eat the last bit of my donut.

        "How about we play truth and dare?" I say while evading his question.  I look over at him and see him smiling at me.

        "Sure why not?" he says.  I sit up straighter with a grin on my face.  "Truth or dare?" he asks.  I think for a second.

        "Truth," I say and he mumbles wimp under his breath.  I smack him softly on his arm making him smile even more. 

        "Is it true that you actually kissed Dustin Hogler?" he asks and I laugh harder than I thought possible.

        "Heck no, but the pretty boy singer wishes though," I say while my laughter filled the car.  Soon, Thomas's laughter mixed with mine making it have a musical quality.  "Okay, truth or dare?" I ask as I sit cross-legged on the leather seat.

        "Dare," he says and I smile.              

        "I dare you to tell me something you've never told anyone else, other than your family," I say and his grin slips.  Did I say something wrong?  I hope I didn't.

        "Another," he says and I look at him weirdly.  His usual pale complexion looks even more drained of blood than usual.

        "There's something you're not telling me, isn't there?" I ask quietly and looking down at my hands.  "Why though?" I ask while looking shyly up at him.  "I've told you almost everything about me, yet you have barely spoken of your life," I say while shaking my head.  "There's nothing that you can say that would make me not want to be friends with you," I say and I see hurt cross his eyes.

        "Would it change your mind if we were more than friends though?" he asks shocking me.  I look up at him with huge eyes.  His soft brown eyes held nothing but seriousness.

        "No, I don't think it would," I say making him get a half smile on his innocent face.  "Will you please tell me?  I won't judge, not even if you killed anyone," I say while he looks away.  It's my turn for my face to turn colorless.  "You didn't kill anyone, did you?" I ask quietly.  He looks back at me smiling.

        "Of course not!  Sheesh, does this face look like a face of a killer?" he asks as he points to his sweet looking face.  I stare at it for a few seconds too long.

        "Of course not, but if it isn't that, then what is it?" I ask and he looks back down.

        "Let me ask you a question," he says as he looks back up at me.  A small gust of arctic air goes through the car making me shiver.  I lean over, close the sunroof, and turn up the heat.  I look back at him expectedly.  "Is it wrong to love someone when you know you'll die?" he asks me.  I look up at him.  His brown eyes bore into my eyes as if it's a life or death matter.

        "Of course not, but it's not like you or I are going to die anytime soon," I say while chuckling a little.  I glance at his serious expression.  "Okay, Thomas, seriously, you're scaring me," I say quietly.  "You don't honestly think that you are going to... die, "I take in a deep breath, "anytime soon, do you?" I ask and he looks at me as if he's trying to soak me in.  I look at him in the same manner.  I glance at him from head to toe.  His lovely dark brown hair flopped on his head messily yet casual at the same time.  His dark brown eyes looking at me intently, and with something in them... maybe love, but that doesn't make sense.  His perfect nose and his dark lips. I look away from them quickly and look back up at his eyes.  "This isn't funny," I warn as I take in deep breaths of air.

        "It's not meant to be funny," he says emotionlessly.

        I look up at him as I feel tears prickle at the edge of my eyes.  "So, you're trying to say that you're... dying?"I ask softly and he nods.  His dark brown eyes look down at me sadly.  "Y-You're lying.  You're just trying to trick me," I say quickly looking for some type of excuse.  "Well, you can quit it now, I'm not as gullible as I seem," I say I fear something form in my throat. 

        Thomas shakes his head softly, "I'm sorry, I honestly wish I was," he says.  I look wildly up at him.  His dark brown eyes look almost wet in the dark atmosphere.

        "What are you sick with?" I ask quietly while my eyes never leaves his.

        "I've been battling pancreatic cancer for the last two years," he says making me take in a sharp intake of breath.  He quickly looks away from me.  "They've tried everything, chemotherapy, radiation, even surgery, but nothing worked."  His dark brown eyes look troubled for a few seconds.  "I had just come back from the doctor's right before I picked you up," he says.  He looks back up at me and wipes a tear from my eye.  "Please don't cry Lucy," he begs and I hiccup.

        "That doesn't mean y-you're dying though, r-right?" I ask in between sobs ignoring his last sentence.  His pale arms pull me into a hug and I hug him back for all I'm worth.  Everything is fitting into place now.  Why he's gone sometimes and comes back tired.  Why he flinches sometimes randomly, and why he's so pale.  Why couldn't I have just fit the puzzle pieces together sooner?  Then again, it wouldn't have helped much, I suppose.

        "Shh," he says soothingly while rubbing my back gently.  "It'll be okay," he says while I hiccup against him.  I breathe in his familiar scent... strawberries and leather.  I can't lose him.  I won't lose him.

        "Please don't go," I whimper against him and I feel his arms tighten around me.

        "I could never go.  I-I love you Lucy," he says quietly.  I look up at him startled.  His wonderful brown eyes have tears on the edge.  He looks so... innocent, so weak! 

        I take in a deep breath and breathe out.  "I-I love you t-too Thomas," I say nervously.  I've wanted to say that for weeks now, and it feels good to have it off my chest.  I look up at him and smile a small smile.  "Want to hear my favor?" I ask and he nods his head.  "Will you kiss me Thomas Baker?" I ask and he looks down at me weirdly.

        "Why would you want to be in love with a man who's on death row?" he asks making me flinch.

        "Because, as long as I'm here, you're not going any-"I start but end in a sigh as his lips meet mine.  I can never let him go, even if I have to give myself up for him.