Prologue

"Omnia vincit amor." -Virgil

Love conquers all things.

Brett remembered the first time he had encountered this saying. His mom, taught him at a young age, that love will always be enough. Love will surpass everything and love is the most beautiful thing he could ever experience. He was only six when his mom had told him the beauty of love.

"Love is the most beautiful thing you will be able to feel. Love is patient, warm, beautiful and above all things, it conquers. It makes you feel alive and you would not ever regret feeling it, even if it is not dedicated to the right person. You should put love on every little thing you do, little Yang. You will never regret it."

Brett's mother kissed his cheek and pinched his cheeks lightly. Brett leans in to his mom and hugged her tightly, his little arms wrapped around the nape of her neck. His tiny hands held onto the skin of his mother, gently touching her.

From that day on, Brett did every little thing with love. The soul of his playing stems from the remnants of his mother's gentle words, his violin playing is like the unconditional love of a mother to her child. No matter what age her child is, her love is endless and it is evergreen. It simply stays and never fades away. It's the reason why Brett Yang was deemed a child prodigy. He played the violin as if he was a parent raising a child, he raised it with undying love, utmost care, never-ending patience, stern discipline and most of all, sweet tenderness.

His writing was the same. It was crafted by love and it seemed to touch people's lives. Except his writing was the type of love you'd give to a lover. It was still an unconditional love but this one seemed to be a different type. He wrote different compositions as if he dedicated them to the love of his life, despite being young.

He wrote poetry as if he was describing his beloved. The words flowing free, no force upon them and it's effortlessly beautiful. His poetry was his arms wrapped around his lover's body, keeping the warmth between two bodies only. His poetry was the brightness of the moon, a guiding light for the love that he lures in, allowing his love to find the way back to his lips. His poetry was his hands caressing his lovely's skin, sending shivers down their spine as if the wind chill is blowing on the exposed skin. His poetry was simply written love that is capable of transcending lifetimes.

His prose is their story as lovers. The dialogue in plays is his love being professed to the spectators, broadcasting his love for the world to see unconditional love unravel before their very eyes. The short stories are drabbles of him and his lover, what happens to them on a daily basis or an event that is important for them. It is filled with details that you could imagine, upon reading you will feel envy.

You will think that you might never get to experience a love as beautiful and transcendent as what you have uncovered. Brett Yang wrote love as if he was the one who created it. He simply conveyed it in a way that everyone would want to experience it.

However, he grows up to see that love is not as sweet as he had anticipated. He still believed that love is one of the best things to experience, but he doubts that it will conquer all. He never saw the statement as beautiful as he did when he was young. He still believed in the beauty and power that love holds.

Love did not conquer the sadness that he felt when his mother passed away. Love did not conquer the regret, longing and grief that his father had gone through when she passed away. His father's love did not conquer the fact that he had lost his wife. His father's love for him did not conquer the fact that he did not want to be reminded of love.

That was the exact moment that love did not conquer all and the exact moment that Brett stopped believing that it did.