Chapter 18- Posh & Beck Part 2

The auction took place in a large room with forest green walls. Waiters flanked around with their cloth-covered trays making sure that the guests were properly supplied with drinks at the times they were needed. If I didn’t know any better I’d say that it was a ploy to get everyone drunk enough to bid more money. I might be wrong but who knows?

Axel led us to the seats somewhere in the middle where the view was still great but we didn’t have to suffer none privacy offered in front.

“Are you auctioning?” I asked him in a hushed voice.

He gave me a half smile “We’ll see.”

The MC, a tall somewhat lanky man in a shiny grey suit appeared on the makeshift stage thanking everyone for attending and explaining the charities objectives and goals within a time span. I had to say that I was really impressed with it and thought it was a truly honourable cause Warm Hands was doing for those suffering from hard substances. I also learned from Axel that the name referred to the fact that when drug addicts were going through withdrawal, one of the symptoms was cold hands. Thereby helping them warmed a place in their hearts and hands.

“Ladies and Gentleman the first volunteer for this auction, please welcome Kristina Jenkins.” A tall gorgeous woman in a black strapped dress appeared standing next to the MC.

“This lovely lady as you all know is an Olympic medallist, successful model and philanthropist. Anyone interested in a dance with this beauty? The bidding starts at £200.”

“£300!” a man in a grey tailcoat sitting on the same row as us shouted.

“£350.” Another gentleman in the back stated.

“£400!”

“£550.” I could hardly hold in my surprise. That was a lot of money. “£600.”

“£700.”

“£700, anyone looking to outbid that?” nobody answered. “The bidding goes to the gentleman there.”

The tailcoat man smiled smugly.

I leaned towards Axel “Is he really spending that much on a dance?”

His lips twitched which they only did whenever he was trying not to smile “Why not? It’s for a good cause.”

“Next we have Brenda Nu, a talented opera singer I'm sure many of you are familiar with.” He said referring to the petite Asian woman in a long sparkly dress who just appeared. “A kiss from this Far East angel is worth the £150 we are starting the bidding from.”

“£250!” a French man started.

“£400.” A pudgy looking man in a tuxedo challenged him.

I was in daze throughout the rest of the auction. Several models, actresses and even a few other celebrities I knew were auctioned off for outrageous amounts. I'll admit that maybe I was a bit too fascinated by the process but could you blame me really. Imagine my surprise when Martin was ushered on stage with a shy smile introduced as a budding young artist.

His bidding had reached almost £5000 when a rigid lady Axel told me was a baroness won out. He was to spend a full day with her and judging from the woman’s expression she was very pleased with that. Urgh I just hope she isn’t a cougar or something because she was bound to get shut down hard.

At the end the older Mr. Gold himself came on stage making my heart flip backwards. He was pretty old, but in a learned and wise form not the sickly frail way. In fact I dare say that he aged quite gracefully.