Prologue

"Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makakarating sa paroroonan

"Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makakarating sa paroroonan." (Those who do not look back to where they came from will not make it to their destination.)

– Jose Rizal

•☽────✧˖°˖☆˖°˖✧────☾•

Lee Jong Hee

"ABEGAIL." Kneeling before her, I let my words weave through the air, each syllable carrying the weight of my emotions. From the depths of my pocket, I retrieved a small wooden box that had nestled there for what felt like an eternity. With careful anticipation, I unlatched its secrets.

As the lid parted, a quiet creak mingled with the subtle gasp that escaped her lips. Inside, nestled in the embrace of worn velvet, lay a symbol of promises kept and moments treasured. Her eyes, alight with a mixture of surprise and joy, glistened with tears that traced a delicate path down her rosy cheeks. In that shared moment, the unspoken language of the heart unfolded, painting a canvas of emotions too profound for mere words.

"Will you make me the happiest man in the world and say 'I do'?"

A rapid percussion echoed within my chest, the heartbeat's crescendo matching the intensity of the unfolding moment. An icy grip tightened around me, creeping from my head down, as tendrils of fear slithered through my veins. The world seemed to hush, amplifying the symphony of my escalating heartbeat, each pulse echoing the rising tide of apprehension.

Abegail's coffee brown eyes held the weight of an impending decision, and I waited with bated breath for her choice to materialize. Silence lingered, and in those suspended moments, she bestowed a smile that sent shivers down my spine, a prelude to the impending revelation.

Her smile, though, didn't immediately unveil her decision, casting a web of uncertainty over my senses. I could feel the rhythmic dance of her breath, rising and falling like a gentle tide, as she maintained her poised stillness, smile intact.

Then, a triumphant "YES!" broke the quietude, accompanied by the remnants of drying tears on her cheeks. The urgency in me surged as I rose swiftly, revealing the small box harboring a luminescent ring beneath the moonlit night.

The ring sparkled, capturing the full moon's radiance, as I delicately slid it onto her waiting finger. A surge of happiness coursed through me, manifesting in a sincere smile and a tight embrace. Despite the inadequacy of words, my gratitude overflowed, cascading into tears.

In that transformative moment, I acknowledged that this woman, adorned with the ring of commitment, was irreplaceable. My gaze, now shifted, embraced the cityscape beyond the bridge, a silent witness to the beginning of our forever.

"3, 2, 1! Happy New Year!" echoed in jubilant harmony, a cacophony of unbridled joy that resonated in the air.

Suddenly, the night transformed as fireworks erupted, gracefully ascending into the heavens. Each burst painted the dark sky with vibrant hues, a celestial dance of bright and radiant lights. The symphony of celebration unfolded with the lively tunes of trumpets and the rhythmic collision of utensils.