Chapter 5

"Bayan ko, ikaw ang nag-iisa, ang bawat Pilipino ay dapat mag-isip

"Bayan ko, ikaw ang nag-iisa, ang bawat Pilipino ay dapat mag-isip." (My country, you are alone, every Filipino should think for themselves.)

– Apolinario Mabini

•☽────✧˖°˖☆˖°˖✧────☾•

[Capítulo Cinco: Mestizo de Sangley]

"MABALIK tayo sa mga katanungan ko (Back to the question)." The gravity in the man's tone returned, signaling that the situation might take a more serious turn. "Anong nangyari sa inyo (What happened to you)?"

"Jong, panot (Jong, creep)!" the crazy girl called. "Kilala mo ba kung sino yung (Do you know who)-"

The situation became more perplexing as the crazy girl continued to speak in Filipino, forgetting my inability to understand. "What's that?" I inquired, seeking clarification.

"Waley (Slang: None). No... Nothing!" she replied hastily.

"Okay." The atmosphere became charged with unspoken secrets as the crazy girl hastily diverted the conversation, leaving a palpable sense of mystery hanging in the air.

"Uhh... Manong, hindi ko po alam kung sino po ang bumaril sa amin kagabi (Sir, I don't know who was the one who shot us last night)," the girl replied.

"Bumaril (Shot)? Kagabi (Last night)?" The man posed the question with a calm demeanor, crossing his legs in a thoughtful manner, creating an air of inquiry about the events of the previous night. "Ang ibig sabihin ba ng bagay na iyon ay matagal na kayong palutang-lutang sa ilog (Does that mean that you floated so long at the river)?"

"Hindi ko po alam. Basta kami'y muntik dineadball ng mga shakabells (I don't know. All I know is that those ugly goblins almost killed us)," she replied, still not translating anything.

"Maaaring mga Espanyol iyon (Those might be the Spaniards)," he added in a serious tone.

"Uh... Siguro po (I guess so). Korek (Correct)," she replied, her expression revealing a hint of perplexity, indicating her struggle to grasp the situation.

"Alam niyo ba kung nasaan kayo ngayon (Do you know where you are)?" the man asked.

"Actually speaking, hindi po namin alam (Actually speaking, we don't know)." She echoed her previous response with a mischievous grin, implying uncertainty about the events of the previous night.