Chapter 7

“Tayong mga Pilipino ay may likas na kasipagan at talino

Tayong mga Pilipino ay may likas na kasipagan at talino.” (We Filipinos have an inherent industriousness and intelligence.)

- Manuel L. Quezon

•☽────✧˖°˖☆˖°˖✧────☾•

[Capítulo Siete: La Mujer (The Woman)]

MARIANNE received assistance from the elderly woman I had noticed earlier, while Señor Emilio carefully carried her to the designated spot.

"Ella estará bien. Tandang Sora es una gran sanadora aquí (She will be alright. Elder Sora is a great healer here)," a voice reassured me as I waited outside the room where she was being treated.

As I scanned my surroundings, my attention was captivated by another young Filipina - simple, adorned with a dazzling smile and gleaming brown eyes. She wore a cream-colored Filipino dress, her hair neatly tied into a bun.

"Supongo que eres nuevo aquí, ¿eh? (I guess you're new here, huh?)" she continued.

"Opo, Señorita (Yes, Miss)," I replied.

"Ako nga pala si Clara. Kasama ako sa mga mujer na nakakita sa inyo sa may ilog (My name is Clara. I'm one of the ladies who saw you in the river), " she spoke.

I conveyed my gratitude with a simple nod, offering a genuine smile in response to her comforting assurance. "Alam kong maaaring naguguluhan ko sa aking sinabi kaya sasabihin ko na lamang sa Espanyol (I know I might be confusing with what I'm saying, so I'll just say it in Spanish)," she added. Mi nombre es Clara del Rosario. Estuve con las mujer que te vieron en el río (My name is Clara del Rosario. I was with the ladies who saw you in the river)."

My heart was filled with delight. Finally, I started to feel comfort.

"Gracias (Thank you), Señorita," I spoke with a smile.

"Quizás ya tengas hambre. Ven a cenar con nosotros afuera (Maybe you're already hungry. Come and dine with us outside)," she replied.

I poised to take a step forward when the sound of approaching footsteps reached us. "O, Primo (Hey, cousin)!" Señor Emilio entered the same area of the house, his voice resonating through the space.

Supported by the two figures, we stepped into the outdoor area, embraced by a gathering of people in unassuming attire. The darkness shrouded the surroundings, yet the contrast of my black coat and trousers heightened my visibility. A palpable awareness settled in – the spotlight of attention cast upon me in that fleeting moment.