6. The Truth

* 2 WEEKS LATER *

Selena's P.O.V

It was around 7:46pm, visiting time was nearly over and I had spent the whole day in this hospital room, listening to the conversations my family held as they tried to pass the time. My brother, Chase, had finally opened up his café called SHAKE A LEG, where he sells protein shakes, milkshakes, tea, coffee, sodas, sandwiches, cakes, pastries, and anything healthy really. He's been wanting to open his own place for a while now and I'm glad he's been able to do it. The grand opening will be after I am awake and guilt bubbled in my gut as the thought of them putting their lives on hold waiting for me was unbearable. What if I don't come back? I want them to continue living but that's always easier said than done...

Mom and dad have couldn't to get the money back from the flights but the record label are keeping my spot open for when I'm fully recovered. Do I even wanna go now? What about Zayn? He's going to graduate this year, he wouldn't come with me though would he? He must be desperate to go back home. I wanna follow my dreams and become a musician but honestly, I'm in love with him and I don't think I'll be able to live without him, and even though I'm a ghost, I've never felt more alive when he's with me.

They began packing up the food they had brought, throwing away the rubbish and adjusting my blanket and pillow when 2 people walked into the room. My jaw opened slightly at the sight of my two best friends walking in with guilty expressions written on their face.

"Nicole, Nathan... Nice of you both to show up after two months." Mom greeted, venom laced in her tone.

"Mrs Gomez, we are so sorry that this happened. We've been feeling so guilty ever since we found out about the accident and we just couldn't face coming here and seeing her like this." Nathan explained and Nicole nodded beside him.

"Where were you both that my daughter ended up leaving the club alone?" She asked, tears pooling I'm her eyes. My dad stood next to her and put a hand at the small of her back, rubbing it to sooth her. My brother was stood back with a clenched jaw. Nathan and Chase have had fist fights before over stupid shit and let me tell you, Chase won every time.

Neither of them spoke, they averted their gaze to the floor, a tear falling from Nathan's eye. He was meant to be my childhood best friend who promised he'd protect me. Yeah we were 8 but as an 8 year old that stuck with me.

He walked over to the bed and took my hand in his, sobs leaving his lips. "I am so sorry, Lena." He sobbed. "I never should've left you in that stupid club. If I thought with my brain rather than my dick, this never would've happened. I've been carrying that guilt with me ever since." He cried. I closed my eyes in disappointment, feeling my heart drop to my stomach. I figured they had left or gone somewhere to fuck but I never wanted to believe it and knowing that they completely abandoned me, not even saying a word or waiting until I returned from the toilets to tell me they'd be back, is what caused me to be like this today just made it more painful to even see them as my friends anymore.

What kind of friend was I to them anyway, I was always the third wheel, I was their pawn in their jealousy game, once they got together I held no value to either of them. Just small betrayals and tokenistic invites that I foolishly accepted. Is that all I am? This thing that just attaches to people and I cling? Am I not worth being clinged to?

"I think you both need to leave." Mom dismissed. Nathan wiped his face with the sleeve of his jacket and nodded.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered.

They both left without saying another word. I stood there stunned at the encounter, I didn't know what to feel or what I should even do with our friendship. The fact that they never came and visited me in these 2 months hurt. I think it's going to take a while before I can forgive them let alone speak to them again.