3. Ghost of You

Zayn's P.O.V

"It's your fault that this happened to me and you're going to pay for it!" She yelled spitefully, her whole body was drenched in blood, I kept stepping backwards to try and get away from her, oh god, she's going to kill me!

I shot up from my bed, heaving, dripping in sweat and guilt flowing through my veins. I whipped the duvet off my body and walked to the kitchen to grab a glass of water before attempting to sleep again.

After getting my cold glass of water, I walked to the large glass windows that overlooked the city, the view calmed me down and I stood there in peace admiring the detail of the sunrise peaking through in between the opposite buildings. The faint sound of the 6am traffic on the roads below and the birds flying around in formation. The scene was beautiful and held no stigma, just peace. As I took a sip of my water, the cold water ran down my throat refreshing this now tainted vessel.

I began to think about last night... was that real? Did I really see Selena's ghost? I hadn't smoked anything all day so I doubt I was imagining or hallucinating it. Maybe it won't happen again and it was just the trauma of it all.

After the thoughts had swirled around my mind and I finished the last drop of water in my glass, I placed the glass in the dishwasher and headed back to bed.

I laid down in the now cold sheets and stared up at the ceiling, my eyes slowly drooped and I fell back into a deep sleep.

**

I awoke a few hours later with a horrible headache. I groaned as I slowly sat up and massaged my forehead. I turned my head to the right and stared at my digital clock on my bed side table, the green lights illuminated 02:00pm.

Fuck! I over slept!

I whipped the covers off of me and stood up, walked towards the door and opened it up, and to my surprise, two cops, one male and one female, were sitting at the dining table talking to Niall. Oh fuck, I'm in deep shit!

"What's going on?" I asked nervously. Liam walked over and stood in front of me, a half eaten piece of buttered toast in his right hand.

"The feds turned up about 15 minutes ago and are questioning each of us on what happened last night. Listen to me, you will tell them everything that happened last night, you have nothing to hide, you did nothing wrong, it was a genuine accident. One lie and that's it, guilty. You hear me!?" Liam explained and instructed. I gulped but nodded.

I can't believe this is happening. I should be studying for my finals not being questioned by the cops.

Niall stood up and signalled that it was my turn. This was it, they're going to arrest me, charge me, put me in a cell for the rest of my life.

As I walked over to the dining table, the air became thick, my palms began to sweat, my knees were weak and felt like they were dragging themselves across the floor. My mouth was dry and just by the looks on their faces, I felt like I was done for.

"You must be Zayn Malik, correct?" The woman officer asked and I nodded as I sat down at the table. "Officer Tate and myself Officer Jenkins. Now there is one common theme in every statement we have taken thus far, that you were the driver and you were alone at the time of the accident. Correct?" She asked, referring to her notes in her small note pad.

I nodded and mumbed a "yeah."

"Now, from these statements, it proves one thing to us but we'd like your version of events, leave no details out." Officer Tate finally spoke and I nodded.

"Well er, earlier that night I had met Selena in Smartbar and we spoke at the bar, danced together and then she left. She did say that she was with friends but she was alone when the accident happened. Then around 2:45am we left the club and as I was the only one that hadn't been drinking, I went to collect the car that was parked in the carpark a street away to pick these guys up from outside the club and take them home." I pointed behind me at the lads who were obviously listening. "I kept to the speed limit if not maybe a little slower as there were crowds of people walking on the sidewalk and stumbling on to the road. And just as I passed a just transitioned yellow light I hit someone. And that happened to be the girl I had met just moments before at the same club, Selena. I don't know where she came from, it all happened so fast!" I stated and the officers took down the notes.