Chapter #3: A Week, Princess

It took a week for Zelda to wake up. Despite multiple checkups from Link (including an occasion where he had carefully slipped a hand in front of her nose, just to make certain that she was breathing), the princess had stayed sound asleep for exactly 7 days.

Link hadn't done much in that time; although, he had developed some sort of a routine: he would wake up, apologize and pay an exuberant amount of rupees to the man behind the desk for another stay, eat whatever was being served, bathe in the Hylia River, forage for various materials... until the sun began to set, and he'd return to the stable to once again check on Zelda.

After the first couple of days, Link actually managed to rest well himself. He had switched to a regular bed in order to save money, considering how much he was paying for their extended stay already. Somehow he slept better on the stiffer mattress. The rest, along with his new little routine, provided some amount of comfort, even if he was getting antsy staying at the stable for such a prolonged period. He was constantly on his toes, convinced that he ought to be doing something other than wasting his time, waiting for Zelda to wake up. But then again, part of him enjoyed it. There wasn't anyone depending on him, not really. Certainly he was always ready and willing to help, but now there wasn't the constant dread of time running out.

The day Zelda awoke, Link was already out by the crack of dawn. Very rarely did he allow himself the privilege of sleeping in, and this was no exception. He was knee deep in the very edge of the Hylia River, staring pointedly at a Hyrule Bass, when the damn near thundering voice of the princess caused him to drop his Zora Spear and jump to attention.

"Link," Zelda had her hands folded in front of her. The mannerisms of a true royal, even after 100 years. Why had he expected any different? "What are you doing?" her eyes traced over his form, from his bare foot to his eyes once more. There wasn't any sort of malice in her tone, but he quickly felt a pang of embarassment that a princess was watching him. It was a feeling he had gotten occasionally during his journeys. When he had worn the Vai Gerudo clothing (or lack thereof), he had grown red quite a number of times as he had conceptualized that some goddess-like princess was looking down upon him.

"Fishing," he replied quietly, motioning with his head to the river. He quickly snatched up his spear, as if that would justify what he was doing.

Zelda pursed her lips for a moment, and Link nearly flinched. She thought him a bumbling fool, didn't she? It was essential that he learn to project clearly, less more embarrassing moments such as-

"All three types of bass native to Hyrule can be found in the Hylia River."

Link blinked. It took him a few moments to process what she was saying at all.

"The Hyrule, Staminoka, and the Hearty," she listed, staring inquisitively at the river itself. "When cooked, each has its own unique ability- except the Hyrule of course, although when paired with one of the others, it may be able to amplify the effects. Certainly something we ought to look into. long distance traveling would be made much easier, especially for the Gerudo with the distance they often cover, if we could increase our knowledge on the subject." Zelda nodded to herself, as if in a world of her own. Link only stood, holding back a shiver from the cool water. He knew what she was talking about, for once. Cooking the various types of fish found around Hyrule was common for him. Mastering his culinary abilities was how he had survived this long, frankly. Part of him wanted to tell her this. Part of him wanted to go into great detail about all of his tips and tricks for getting the best quality meal with the resources you had. But only part of him wasn't enough to pry his lips open.

"Anyways," Zelda cleared her throat and clapped her hands together. A pleasant smile spread across her face as she once again meet Link's eyes. "We ought to get going. I'm sure impa is awaiting us. I have no doubt about it. She made me promise to see her first thing after our victory." her smile faltered. "100 years ago... I wonder if she-? She must have aged quite a bit."