Chapter #2: Buy Another

Link's standards weren't as high as they maybe ought to have been considering who he now was. Truthfully, he was perfectly satisfied with using a folded up pair of trousers for a pillow, or using the currents of the Squabble River to wash his hair. He knew to appreciative for the currents, just as he might be for a Rito-Down Bed. Although his memories of his formative years were scarce, he still remembered some of the instincts he had developed during his formative years: Be Grateful, no matter how much or how little was provided.

But just because Link himself didn't mind sleeping in a secluded area of a field didn't mean that Zelda ought to. She was a princess, and that status was to be respected, he was convinced. So he had committed to getting the pair to the stable as quickly as possible, and rented out the highest quality bed available for her (which wasn't saying much).

Zelda had opted to not be particularly loud about who she was just yet. In a long speech given on the ride to the stable, she had explained in pointed detail that it would be smarter to wait for advice from Impa on how to approach her return to power. Link didn't really understand the train of thought, but he had no place questioning the princess. He merely gave her his Hylian Hood, and had awkwardly explained to the man behind the counter at the stable that his sister was rather shy, and preferred to sleep surrounded by privacy curtains (which of course, resulted in a 20 rupee charge).

Link had every intention to finally rest well. He had even splurged on a second soft bed for himself, something he rarely did. He always felt guilty paying extra for a few hours on a softer mattress. But of course, now that he had finally decided to do it, he was unable to catch even a sliver of sleep. He spent what felt like hours merely adjusting and readjusting himself underneath the fleece covers.

it wasn't as though his restlessness was justified. There wasn't anything he ought to be nervous about, or, on the contrary, anything to be particularly excited about.

He loathed that he didn't have a set plan ahead of him. Link was entirely blind to the world, now; usually he would have a loose itinerary of sorts outlined for the next day. Stop by a goddess statue, prepare meals fit for the terrain he planned on going to next, scower the terrain for different resources... even if they were menial plans, they were still there. But a part of him now felt like a puppet, or a doll. Something that would be toted around for protection, or company, or out of obligation. He would accompany Zelda. He would stand behind Zelda. He would cater to Zelda. He would be whatever the princess needed; but wasn't that the point? He had seen the ceremony, recovered the memory of being appointed knight. He had sworn to protect her with his life... but hadn't he already?

These were the thoughts that flowed through Link's mind as the princess slept comfortably behind the tinted curtains pulled around her. Thoughts that eventually drove him out of the bed (40 rupees he wouldn't be getting back), and just outside of the stable. He couldn't exactly run off anywhere, but the company of the company of the trees and crickets provided some amount of comfort.

The night wind was cold, but Link had had the foresight to bring his Hylian Hood. Once behind the curtains, Zelda had dramatically tossed it back over at him with a joke about it having an odour to it. He hadn't even realized it.

He pulled back the hood despite the chill. His hands untangled the knot in his hair, and let it fall out to his shoulders. The wind in his hair was therapeutic, and as it met his sideburns, a string of words came to his mind. '...sideburns flow like a waterfall over his ears.', something to that effect. They were words out of Paya's diary. Paya. He hadn't thought of her in weeks, admittedly. His mind didn't allow much for specific people. But as his thoughts shifted to her, he felt a pang of guilt for having read her diary at all. Surely she'd be mortified if she knew he had. He remembered distinctly how she'd nearly broken down in tears the first time he had met her. The poor thing had shook as if he had put a sword to her neck. He wondered if she knew yet- about Ganon. Who did know? Everyone? No one?

He gazed up at the sky. For a moment, expected to see a blazing red blood moon shine back down at him. but only the stars greeted him. The same stars from a hundred years ago, huh?

"Hello," he murmured awkwardly. His eyes almost burned as he stared up at the thousands of stars that seemed to be surrounding him. Link slowly sunk to a squat and then down to his back so he could see them all more clearly. An immensely vulnerable state- how foolish of him to leave himself so defenseless... but even if something did happen, what would be the matter? He had fulfilled his destiny. Ganon was farther away from Hyrule than the stars he now gazed at. what more was he even good for?

Link stood up. There wasn't any point in laying down and thinking about things he couldn't ever understand. He was being selfish.

he trudged back to the stable, refusing to take another look back up at the sky.

***

Zelda did not wake up the next morning. Link wasn't particularly judgemental about her sleeping in, but once noon had passed, he became worried for her wellbeing enough to check behind the curtain.

She was there, tucked under her blanket and a peaceful look on her face. It reminded him of a child fast asleep after a day of play. He merely smiled, and returned back outside of the curtain. 100 years was a long time to fight.

After leaving another stack of rupees at the counter (60, to be exact. The asshole wasn't too lenient about the prolonged visit, evidently), Link returned back outside. He had changed into a fresh set of clothing. His climbing gear- one of his one of his favorite outfits; it was loose, light, and perfect for...

He peered out at the scenery in front of him. It wasn't often that he truly took time to appreciate the wild, but he did then. Leaning against Kaya Wan shrine, he traced the outline of the Gerudo Highlands with his eyes. It amazed him that the mountains were so big, so thundering, so demanding of attention that even from Central Hyrule he could see them. For a moment, Link could have sworn that he could feel the chill from the ice caps...

The Royal Shield hit the ground with a hefty thump. His bow, quiver of arrows... everything short of his Master Sword and paraglider all followed.

His heart began to race as he took a few long strides forward, before jumping and extending his paraglider. He rode the winds forward, and with about 10 feet of distance... he practically threw the glider, and tumbled down into the stream.

Water enveloped him. His paraglider, and where it might have fallen, wasn't even on his mind. Link simply let the water fill his ears, soak his clothing, and push him back up towards the surface. His head poked back above the waters surface. He felt positively insane, and after a moment, he quickly tracked down his paraglider (which had been carried down the river). whatever drove the spontaneous dip was unknown. But it felt... nice. he wasn't there to fish, or bathe, or search for snails. All that mattered was the sun beaming down and that- he had lost his bandana, apparently. Whatever. He'd buy another.

"Buy another," the words barely escaped his mouth as he slowly made his way back to the shore. Where had that attitude come from? Was this the entitled energy that he was supposed to have? Where he could just buy another? Why was such a careless thought his first one? Or maybe he was overthinking it all.

After reaching the edge of the river, he promptly turned back around to go fetch his bandana.

author's note:
hello!! this chapter is a little shorter than what I plan on doing normally, but here she is!! I'm looking forward to writing the next few chapters...