Chapter #8: See Hyrule

author's note:
https://youtu.be/B3vNS3qMibU
So... it's been 2 years. That's... awkward. To be honest with you, I totally forgot about this story. I was only alerted to it again the other day when I got an email saying someone favorited it! I immediately got to my switch, started another save file, and made the impulsive decision to come back to this. I'm not sure how many people will still be reading, but what the hell, I think I had a good idea and I might as well see it through. If you're still here from two years ago: Wow! Thank you! That's incredible. Anyways, I'm returning with proper capitalization, lots of inspiration, and hopefully a weekly schedule! I hope you're as excited as I am to get back to this. Without further Ado, here's chapter 8. Enjoy!

~~~~~

The searing pain in Link's head pulsed with an intensity like no other. It was as though he was being pierced with an array of arrows over, and over, and over... Still, such agony did not stop his swift pace.

Echoes of "Master Link!" and "The Hero has awaken!" chorused through the primitive streets of Kakariko Village. The calls only intensified the pain, but he ignored them ever still. Zelda, in Zora's Domain. Without him. Any ounce of pride that had existed beside him (dwindling, miniscule already) was blown away by the aggressive gusts of wind that coursed through the valley.

"Master Link!" A sweaty, yet grinning man stepped in front of him. His quick pace was halted. "Master Link, you've awaken from your slumber! Are you to catch up with the princess? She's left for Zora's Domain, I've heard!"

Link tried to continue around him, but the man shifted, blocking him. The princess had left for Zora's Domain. Link put his hand on the man's arm.

"Master Link?"

With more force than needed, Link thrust the man out of his way with a swift motion. The farmer stumbled to the ground, and Link continued down the path, ignoring the sounds of gasps that erupted from the surrounding Sheikah. A wave of guilt washed over the Knight, but that did not further impact his exit from the town. He ignored the greeting of the Sheikah guarding the border of town and continued on. Every step brought some glimpse of relief as he moved; it was as though he was escaping a labyrinth, every step being that much further to some great release...

But there wouldn't be a great moment of triumph. It occured to Link quite suddenly as he lost himself in the dense woods that he hadn't any location in mind. There wasn't a single place in Hyrule where he might find an escape, an outlet. He would be known throughout Hyrule as the Great Hero, and once the word spread, the Great Hero abandoned by the Princess Zelda. It wasn't as though he had previously cared for reputation (any more than hating the incessant praise). And he still didn't, not really... though an inkling of rage deep within his stomach suggested that perhaps he felt... deserving of *something*. Not a title, or land, or glory, but perhaps... He couldn't place it. Even more, he loathed himself for wanting anything at all. He thought back to the humble farmer, who had seemingly wanted nothing more than a brief conversation with him. His face burned red with regret. He had tossed the man to the ground. A man who wanted so little.

He didn't deserve anything at all. The pain in his head confirmed that: a punishment from Hylia herself, certainly. He was acting with as much sophistication and grace as a child. A child who had won a race and now felt deserving of some grand prize...

He turned around after several moments of staring aimlessly out into the woods.

He decided then, with the chorus of twigs snapping under his feet as he retraced his steps, that he would do the *Hero's work* of righting his wrong. As... simple as it was, he would do right by the farmer. It occured to him that he in fact *owed* much more than he *deserved*; the praise that had showered on deaf ears would now be requited with... anything. Anything anybody needed. Such thoughts accompanied him as he returned, in a blur, to the middle of Kakariko Village.