Chapter 19

*unedited
Please excuse any mistakes

The bus trip was long. I was hungry and I couldn't waste a dollar on food. Some people shared with me out of unwanted pity. When we got to Chicago. It was like I was on a different planet. People dressed only slightly different, food was different. But these Chicago style hotdogs, man. Like heaven. But through the amazing sights of navy pier and lakeshore drive, I had nowhere to stay. No where to eat or sleep. I found a boardwalk near the beach and slept there when I was getting late. I was sure as hell not gonna sleep in the south side. I'm just gonna follow Nadia's rules.

Nadia. I miss her. She helped me deal through the crap that Kylay set over me. Kylay is probably making everyone slave away for her now that I left. I wish I could have said bye to her before I left, she was my best friend. Nadia wasn't the only one, I was friends with some people that Nadia introduced me to. Francesca, an Italian overweight girl, Damon, a gay boy. And Taylor, she was bullied by Kylay because Cameron, Kylays play toy (aka boyfriend) forced himself on her and got her pregnant and then said she forced him. What a dickhead. So she was on the verge of being anorexic at the time so the baby died. Kylay told everyone she got an abortion.

I walked inside a diner, looking for a job. I walked up to the front counter. A man with a mustache, short, a fedora.

Interesting.

"Hey, I'm Dani Gonzalez. Do you have any jobs available?" I asked him, I took my middle name and my dads last name for myself. The right tip of his mustache twitched. "How old are you?" He asked. He had a Latino accent like Nadia. "14 and a half.." I told him, my voice came out small. I don't he'll accept me, most managers look for 16 year olds or collage students. Im barely gonna start high school in a few months, it's only June..

He studied me long and hard. "You're so young, why do want a job?" He asked. I choked up, I don't want to tell him that I live under a boardwalk. "I just need money for school and clothes. Time to take responsibility for myself." I breathed out, hoping he bought it. "No." He answered right away. "What? Why?" I whined. "That's not the reason. You want to work in my diner then you tell my the truth." Why would I tell him? I obviously can't tell him the whole truth, he'll probably turn me in to the police. I'll tell him part. Okay I'm, Dani Gonzales, I'm 14, my parents died in a car crash and I ran away from my foster home. Oh! And my birthday is not October six, it's July 18. Whew got that covered. "Got what covered?" He asked. Crap! Did I say that out loud? "Yes, you did."

"Now, answer me or you walk out without a job." He told me. "Okay, I ran away from my foster home and I live under a boardwalk." I said really fast. He took a deep breath. "Tell you what, in exchange for work, I'll let you bunk with my cousins son, he's 15. He need a roommate, boy or girl. You'll get food, shelter and free education." He huffed. My eyes widen to the size of saucers. "I can't accept so much from you!"
"I don't care.. You'll accept it. I know what it's like to be in the system." He told me. A lump formed in my throat. This isn't fair. I'm lying, I don't know what is like to be in a foster home. But I accept. "Thank you" I shook his hand. "Okay you can get to work now, after you eat. You can call me Julio." I nodded and he slid a large plate with hotdogs and fries, a milkshake and marinara sauce. My mouth watered. And walked towards the plate and ate fast. I wiped my mouth with my napkin and finally took a deep breath. I haven't eaten like that in.. Ever! Matt and I usually eat takeout. This was delicious.

I got to work and cleaned the whole diner as well as busting the tables and serving the food. It's actually hard trying to get the food as fast as you can to impatient, thirsty people. After the day ended Julio took me to the apartment building where his nephew lives. This was gonna be awkward, he's a boy and I'm a girl. Not that I have a problem with it, it just will be.. Well you get it, right?

The elevator ride was short, yet I wanted it to last until I was ready to meet the guy. I took a long breath and followed Julio down the hall. Room number 79, room number 80, room number 81, room number-
"82. Here we are, time for you to meet Rylan." He huffed with his hands on his waist. He shook his head "alright" and knocked on the door. I heard loud shuffling that became less fainter and the door swung open.

He was tall, like 6,2 , brown eyes, muscles, nice face structure. I wasn't gonna lie he was hot. But it's not like I'm gonna try to grab his attention with sexy gestures. He's just a person, he wasn't made in Jesus's shoe.

He looked at me and frowned. "A girl?" He asked confused. "Yes, a girl. Is there a problem?" Julio asked. He raised his eyebrows and smirked at me. "Nope" he said popping the 'P'.

"Good, I'll leave." He walked away really fast. I stood there staring at him. "Umm.. Hi.." I finally said. "Come in." He stepped aside and I slowly walked in.

The apartment wasn't small but it wasn't big either. There was a small tv that would be considered pathetic to some people. The paint on the walls were peeling and the couches looked very old and used. "Nice place." I said. "Yea, sure." He sat on the couch and stared at me. "What's your name?" He asked. "Dani.." I told him. "Well, I'm Rylan And you are my roommate."

"I think I got that." I said sarcastically. I put my hand over my mouth, I was being rude to a guy who only said polite words. He scoffed. "Wow, a rude rose." He commented. Yay! A new nickname based on my hair. That's not usual at all! Note my sarcasm.

"I can already see we'll get along." I breathed flashing him an obvious fake smile. "So why are you here? Your 14.." He asked. "Your 15, your not even legally allowed to have a job.." I told him. "Yea but my uncle helps me pay for this apartment.. He comes by and it's not like I can't live on my own." He scoffed. I flicked my eyebrows up as to say 'okay'. I followed him to an empty room with one bed in it, the walls were bare and the bed was stripped to only the frame, mattress and a few stained pillows. "Here's your room." He presented triumphantly. "It's nice" The corners of my mouth crinkled in a small smile. He rolled his eyes. "Well, I'm sorry it's not a five star hotel room." He said. "I'm just grateful for the bed frame." I said quietly so he won't hear, but as you expected.. He did.

"Why? It's just a frame." He said. "Yea, sure.." I scoffed and just ignored his expectations of me being.. Well, a Kylay Williams.. I stared him, studying his features and he was very pleasing to the human eye and I'm sure many girls would agree. What? Just because I was abused and being haunted by a ghost who masks itself as a 12 year old dead girl, doesn't mean I can control my teenage hormones.. Well, let's just hope this goes well..

______________________
A/N: hello ducklings!

So first I'd like to say that you pronounce his name Rie len not Re lan. I also imagine Rylan as Fransisco Lachowski *wiggles eyebrows*

Next id like to ask what do you think of Julio. Would you take someone in the first minute you meet them?

This chapter is short. I'm having writers block and I would really appreciate if someone would give me some ideas that they would suggest for the book.

Schools will become less enjoyable now that people are leaving.. 😟
And people who I don't like are leaving people with the same opinion as me about them.. 😒

So I have to move again and I won't be updating as much as 'at the most once a week' or maybe I'll update more. I'll finally have wifi all the time so that won't be a problem but ill be busy with moving.. Again.. So I hope someone would help me out here.. I stare at this screen too much, bye Felicia.. ( alltime_hoe_bruh 😂😂)
______________________
Vanessa