Chapter 4

It has been 5 minutes since we sat here in silence. I wanted to say something but whenever I motioned to speak I lose my train of thoughts. The silence was becoming more awkward the longer it went on.

I was about to say something when Mark beat me to it. “Why are you out here by yourself? Shouldn’t you be inside talking with everyone else?” When I didn’t give an answer he continued, “It’s been a while, huh? A long while,” he chuckled. Man, I missed that chuckle.

“Yeah, it has been,” I replied with a shy smile. “How have you been?” I took the courage to ask.

“I’ve been good,” he said with a sigh. “There were rough times and there were highlights in my life in the past 6 years. I just wish I was able to experience them with you,” he said with a smile. Oh shoot. He didn’t even bother to beat around the bush. As I thought of what to say to him, the memories of 6 years ago began to flashback.

6 years ago:

I was sitting on the playground swing after school. Mark told me to meet him here since he said he had something really important to say.

You might wonder who Mark is and how is he important in my life. Mark is actually my best friend. Him and I have went through everything together, considering the fact that our parents were best friends as well. Our dads were best friends since college. They attended the same fraternity and majored in the same field. Once they graduated, they founded an offshore construction service company together. When my mom and dad got married later on, my mom introduced her best friend to Mark’s dad. Lo and behold they got married not long after my parents. So you could say, Mark and I have known each other way before our mothers even gave birth to us.  

We experienced our firsts together. His first baseball game, my first ballet recital, our first trip to Disney Land and even our first time on an airplane. You could say, we were two peas in a pod and nothing could separate us.   

I’ve been sitting here for a long time now and I’m starting to get annoyed. Mark said to meet him here at 4:00, yet its already 4:15. Punctuality was always important to me and Mark being late made me upset.

I was about to get up and leave when 3 guys approached me. “La La La~” they began. They started to hum a tune and as I was about to turn around and leave, Mark appeared with a smile. He then began to sing. “You can be the peanut butter to my jelly. You can be the butterflies I feel in my belly~” Really? out of all the songs he could possibly have sang, he picked this one?

When he finished the song  he kneeled down on one knee and handed me a bouquet of roses. “I know we’ve known each other longer that we could even remember. And we experienced everything together. You might think of me as a best friend, but you mean so much more to me. I don’t know if you even look at me the same way I look at you, but I needed to get my feelings out. I just wanted to tell you I like you. Its more like, I love you actually. I hope this does not ruin our friendship, but I just wanted you to know.”

Tears began to form and I couldn’t find the right words to say.