Chapter 2

6 years ago:

“I don’t know if you’ll be here when I return, but I’m going to plant you along with my feelings.”

Daffodils. Representing hope. Purple Lilacs. Representing first love.

I can’t believe that these flowers are still here. I also can’t believe that they’ve grown in number. I stood there looking at the flowers for god knows how long that my dad came to the backyard looking for me.

“Honey, what’s wrong? Let’s go in and eat,” He said with a huge smile plastered on his face.

“Coming,” I replied. I can’t wait to eat my mom’s home cooked meal. Eating microwaved food, takeout and cafeteria food for the past 6 years made me crave and miss mom’s cooking. I walked beside my dad towards the house having small talk with him. The talk with him and my mom on the drive home seemed too short to update him with the happenings in my life.

As we entered the house, I was surprised by my relatives and friends. I didn’t know that my mom planned a surprise party for my homecoming. I hugged each one really tight and told them I missed them. I was on the verge of tears when I was done with all the “hellos” and the "how are yous”. I’ve missed everyone so much, but something kept bugging me at the back of my mind.

The one person I was hoping to see was not here. I don’t know what happened to him in the past 6 years that I’ve been away. I never has the courage to ask to keep in touch throughout the years.

“Let’s eat!” my dad announced and everyone began to make a commotion as they headed towards the dining room. Everyone looked so happy and it makes me happy to see them happy. I made my way towards the dining room as well, but then the doorbell rang. Since I was the closest to the door, I decided to get it myself.

As I opened the door, the one person that I was hoping to see stood there. He looked at me with surprised eyes, then smiled his 1000 watt smile. My heart began to beat faster.

It’s him. It’s Mark Tuan.