Chapter 1

I now find myself exiting the airplane. I went to pick up my luggage and headed my way to customs. After a few questions later, I headed my way towards the exit. The City of Angels, I’m back.

As soon as I exited through the doors, I see my parents waiting for me, holding up a placard with my name on it and their faces were glued with big bright smiles. I waved at them and ran to give them hugs and kisses. Oh, how I’ve missed them. Their over-protectiveness, their nagging, their hugs and their love.

As we make our way home I sat in the backseat observing my surroundings. I smiled with the thought that I’m finally back. Not for good but I’m back after such a long period of time of being away. As I looked around, I noticed how much my parents have aged. I realized how their youthful skin have become a bit wrinkly in the past 6 years. How my mom developed eye bags underneath her beautiful dark brown eyes. How my dad’s hairline is further back than they once were. I smiled to myself as I thought of how much I missed them and how much things have changed since I left.

I’m now standing in front of my house. I noticed that my dad still had his obsession of keeping the grass neatly cut. And my mom never let go of her hobby of planting flowers. The house looked the same, it’s a spanish-colonial styled house with white walls and red-orange shingles on the roof. I’m glad that I’m back.

Before I entered the house, I decided to check out the backyard first. As I looked around I smiled at how it looks the same as when I left. Dad’s vegetable garden beside the pool and the garden swing is still standing strong underneath the oak tree despite its faded colour. Everything looked like home, but as I was turning around to head my way inside the house, a small flower garden consisting of daffodils and purple lilacs caught my eye. I then remembered why they were there.