Year Five, Day Thirty-Nine

Sam POV

We checked the last couple houses, the inn, and the shops yesterday before rooming at the inn. We got pretty much the same result. More black cloaked figures muttering about 'reunion', Sephiroth, and I think one of them mentioned a 'Black Materia' or something like that, and more people neither Cloud nor Tifa recognized that got mad or the likes when we mentioned the fire or them not being there before.

Today, we're planning to check out the old ShinRa Manor. It used to be a research center, I think. It was abandoned some time ago. I wonder why.

Outside the ShinRa Manor, two more of those black cloaked guys are walking about. When we approach the first, he says, "...he's...calling....Sephiroth...is...calling..."

The second says, "the...Great...Sephiroth...is...near..."

"We're definitely on that bastard's trail," Barret growls. 

"In...urgh....inside...the...mansion...urgh...the great....Sephi...roth..." the second continues before staggering away.

"Sephiroth is inside the ShinRa Manor!?" Tifa exclaims. "We're not just on his trail, we've practically found him!"

"Alright, listen up everyone," Cloud says, drawing our attention to him. "Sephiroth is inside that manor. He's powerful, but if we work together, I know we can beat him. Prepare yourselves."

Everyone readies their weapons, looking determined. I step up to Cloud and draw my dual ninjato-type swords. "Lead on, Cloud. We're with you."

With Cloud in the lead, we step into the dusty, abandoned mansion. He quietly motions for us to split into pairs to search the rooms. If we come upon Sephiroth, do not engage but come get the rest of us.

I go with Cloud. Aerith goes with Tifa. Red goes with Barret. And Yuffie goes with Cait Sith. We made sure to tell those that didn't previously know what Sephiroth looks like the other day.

Nothing. Every single once fancy and probably very elegant room is empty of all life, unless you count the spiders and mice. When we meet back with the others in the main foyer, the looks on everyone's faces tells me they had no luck either. Where is he? I know that he's here. I can sense his presence...

"No luck?" Tifa asks, looking around wearily. "Could those cloaked guys have been lying?"

"No," Cloud says, shaking his head. "He's here. I can feel him."

I nod. "As can I."

Suddenly, Cloud makes a gasping sound. "Of course! The basement! I nearly forgot about it!"

"There's a basement?" Aerith inquires. "We didn't see any stairs."

"That's because the entrance is hidden. The old lab is in the basement. The hid the entrance because they didn't want non-ShinRa people getting down there. C'mon."

We follow him upstairs to a bedroom with a single queen-sized bed and a bookshelf. One corner of the room is part of a stone tower by the looks of it. Cloud walks up to the rounded stone wall and looks it up and done before finally pressing one of the stones inward. A door opens up in the wall, revealing a hidden spiral staircase leading downward.

"Definitely a ShinRa thing to have a secret lab in the basement of their mansion," Barret says, peering down the stairs. "Well? What are we waiting for? Let's go get the bastard."

He gruffly pushes past Cloud into the stairwell. Nodding, Cloud follows after him, then Tifa and Red. Cait Sith bounds after them with Yuffie right behind him.

Aerith pauses at the door and looks back at me. "Aren't you coming, Sam?"

"This...will be the first time I faced him since I got all my memories back. I...I know he has to be stopped. And I'm going to do all I can to stop him...but...a little part of me hesitates. Like somewhere inside, I still care about him...I don't know what to do..." I reply, averting my gaze ashamedly.