[twenty three]

The Malfoy Manor was as quiet and dreadful as Draco had left it at the start of the year. Although his mother's two magnificent white peacocks still roamed the garden in front, almost all the flowers and plants have been left to die. "Elves haven't been tending to the garden?" Draco asked as they walked towards the front doors "These were alive when I left."

"I've had them focus on ridding the manor of the dark objects the other Death Eaters have left behind." Narcissa sighed "The gardens weren't in any of my orders."

Two elves in horribly filthy pillow cases greeted them with a bow "Welcome home, mistress and master."

"Thank you." Draco said curtly, earning him a look from both the elf and Narcissa "What?"

"You never did abuse the elves like your father and aunt did, but you've never been so outspokenly polite to them either." Narcissa pointed out 

"Hermione has a thing for elves." Draco shook his head in disbelief "I can't imagine she'd be pleased about living in a home with dozens of house elf servants. The least I can do is treat them better."

Narcissa smiled in amusement "Okay, if you say so, darling." she nodded "Why don't you go ahead to the pool house. I'll be right behind you with our files."

"Business as usual, mother." Draco sighed "Can't I have a moment to breathe?"

Narcissa chuckled "You can breathe when we're done talking about everything we need to settle." she waved him off as she began to climb the grand staircase "While you're waiting, you should go ahead and inform McGonagall of your whereabouts."

Draco sulkily walked all the way to the back garden, where their massive pool and guest house were. He made sure to order the elves to bring them tea and snacks, the least he could do was make this a bearable discussion. 

When he and his mother went to the ministry to bargain, one of their terms was that they'd get to keep everything that was theirs. Narcissa had to make sure that after everything that happened and will happen, she and Draco would still have a future. So, in exchange for their intel, they asked for their names to be cleared and for their riches to stay in tact.

Narcissa just entered the poolhouse when Draco waved his wand with closed eyes and conjured a patronus. A brilliant dragon emerged from the tip of his wand and flew away in the direction of the school. His mother almost dropped all the things in her arms.

"Draco." She whispered

Draco's eyes flashed open, then came a sheepish smile on his face "Right, er, I forgot to tell you about that." 

"Y-you can?" Narcissa asked, her eyes filling with tears "You finally can?"

"It's just a patronus, mother. There's no need to overreact." Draco chuckled as he watched his mothers scramble to lay the records on the table and rush over to cup his face 

"It's not just a patronus, darling." Narcissa shook her head, her eyes gleaming "You're happy?"

"I'm happy." Draco nodded with a big smile 

"Hermione?"

"Hermione." Draco nodded "She taught me...that there were a lot more things I should be grateful and happy about. You, Blaise, Theo, Pansy, our friends, Quidditch, love, forgiveness. She's taught me a lot of things, mother, and it's only been a few months." 

Narcissa smiled, happy tears spilling from her eyes "I really should've thanked that girl when I had the chance." 

Draco chuckled "I know your pureblood habits are still in the mend, mother. There's no rush. You can build a relationship with her when you're ready. At least then I'll know it'll be genuine."