[seventy four]

Voices.

Hermione could not, for some reason, bring herself to move or even open her eyes, but she heard the voices of her friends.

Whether she was dreaming or not, she was not sure—but her friends' voices soothed her in the void she was in.

"I can't believe she didn't tell me." It was Draco's voice, so tired and agonized "She promised no more secrets."

"She didn't want to worry you." Ron sighed quietly, his voice equally tired.

"Why the fuck did she tell you?" Draco snapped, oh Draco, I'm sorry, Hermione thought.

"Hey, watch it." Ron warned "I'm her best friend before anything else."

"Then why didn't she tell me?" Harry this time, pain seeping into his tired voice.

"Because you were going to pull the heroics on us again, Harry." Ron sighed, exasperated "Look, the only reason why Th—why we knew is because she needed to lay off on all the Dark magic."

Theo, where was he?, Hermione thought, has he recovered from the Dark potion?

She heard a door open and close, followed by Pansy's voice "Draco, I called Narcissa to bring you your belongings—"

The door opened once again, this time an unfamiliar voice spoke "There are too many of you in here. Miss Granger needs to rest. All of you, out."

"I am not leaving her side. Over my dead body." Draco snapped

"Everybody but mister Malfoy must leave. You can come and see her again in the morning." Hermione assumed it was the healer speaking.

"With all due respect, we just saved the damn world—" Blaise was cut off

"Yes and we are forever grateful, but miss Granger needs her rest." The healer's footsteps came closer until they reached the side of Hermione's bed "Sleep." The healer said, and all at once, Hermione fell into the void.

Hermione's sleep was dreamless and quick, at least that's exactly how it felt. When she roused from her slumber, she still couldn't move a thing, but she could hear her friends talking.

"Nothing?" It was Astoria's voice, heavy but hopeful.

"Nothing." Pansy answered "They did everything they could."

Nobody else in the room spoke, which frightened Hermione. What were they talking about? Who did everything they could to what? To who?

She wanted so badly to move her arms, to send a sign that she could hear them—that she was okay, but not a single muscle obeyed her will.

"Hermione?" Blaise's voice sounded tired, like he'd been up all night.

"Still no response. The healer said the potion should keep her unconscious for at least another twelve hours." Viktor answered "It took all three of us to drag Malfoy out of the room and get him freshened up."

"Punched Harry in the eye, too." Ron snorted

"By accident. I understand why he wouldn't leave her side." Harry answered, and then his hand was squeezing Hermione's. She knew it so well—the hand of her brother.

Another warm hand touched Hermione's forehead "I ran the diagnostics earlier and she's recovering well. The potion she was given is helping her heal rapidly, even if it induced a coma." Elena said quietly "There's a possibility she's actually awake and can hear us."

Harry's hand tightened around hers "You'll wake up soon, wont you, 'Mione?" He asked, hopeful "One of us is more than enough." He whispered quietly.