Chapter Eleven

Robert scratched his chin puzzling over his conversation with Jones. He didn't tarry long over it as he heard the girls getting boisterous in his classroom. He turned and entered the room. The girls were all milling about and talking loudly about the scene in Jimmy's class. Robert stood and yelled over the din. "Girls! Quiet down." The girls all stopped talking and turned their attention toward him. "That's much better," Robert said as he smiled broadly. "Now I understand there was a scene in Mr. Page's room. I should hope that will not happen here." He strolled toward his desk and picked up several sheets of paper and began walking down the rows handing out a sheet to each girl. As he walked he said, "Today each of you will read a short poem, I expect you to read it with feeling." He stopped as he reached Stephanie. She looked up at him glassy-eyed; she was starting to feel the lack of sleep. She smiled at him as he handed the paper to her.

"I hope you will do better this time around, Ms. Stephanie," Robert said as he walked to the back of the classroom. "Remember class, when you speak, enunciate." Steph stared at Robert baffled, but didn't have time to dwell on it as he called the first speaker. Each girl in the class took a turn standing and reciting the poetry given to them. Most did well, trying to inflect feeling into the written words.

Steph was bored to tears and was trying hard to stay awake. A couple of times she almost nodded off. She hoped he didn't call her next, she thought as Robert looked at the few girls left to speak then looked right at her. She began to silently pray, 'please don't pick me, please don't pick me'. She was never so thankful when she heard him call Felice's name. Better her than me, Steph thought as she rested her head on her hands and began to doze.

Felice rose and walked to the front of the class. She had to read a very sad poem and she was very nervous. Her hands shook as she held the paper in front of her. Calm down, she thought, calm down. Taking a deep breath, she looked at everyone staring at her when a peaceful calm enveloped her. She looked at the words on the paper and began to read. As she read, each word came to life as she spoke, she had no idea the effect she was having on the class. Felice felt empowered, energy was flowing in and around her as she spoke. When she finished, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then looked up at the class. Some students were openly crying, others had tears streaming down their cheeks. She looked around shocked. What in the world happened, she thought? She looked to Mr. Plant, who stood staring at her. "All I did was read the paper," she said as she looked again at Mr. Plant. "What happened? Why is everyone crying?"

Robert smiled at her. "Everything is fine, Felice. You were excellent. So much feeling you displayed...they felt it. Very good. Very, very good. You may have a seat." As she sat, Robert watched her and thought, so here she is, our Spellcaster.

"Ok class, time is just about up. We will finish the poem recitation tomorrow," Robert said as he walked to the front of the room. " You may go." As the girls filed out of the room, one remained behind. The girls all snickered as they walked by her. Robert walked over to her, and crouched down so that his face was on her level. He put his hand on her back and then said quite loudly, "Stephanie!"

Stephanie almost jumped out of her chair. "What? What? Is it my turn?"

"Ah, the class is over. Are you ok?" Robert asked, as he looked at her.

Steph rubbed her eyes and looked at the empty classroom, "My Gods. I fell asleep. I'm sorry. I didn't mean too."

Robert put his fingers against her mouth, "Shhh, it's ok. You look exhausted."

Steph looked at him quizzically. Why is he being so nice? she thought. She racked her brain trying to figure out what game he was up to now. Should she say something about yesterday? Why hadn't he said anything? She pondered what he was up to. Robert continued to watch her. "Well... I must be getting to my class," Steph said, as she got up. She tripped on the chair leg and fell. Robert caught her and held her tightly to him.