Part 60

"What about... this one?" Adelia said with a smile as she pulled a dress out from the back of her closet. She held it in front of her, twirling around as she watched herself in the mirror. 

"It's nice." Echo said softly, watching the excitement in her eyes. Adelia was really looking forward to Christmas with her family.  "You're going to look so cute."

Adelia frowned, lifting her chin. 

"Cute is for babies." Adelia said, deciding she would take it anyway. She gently removed the hanger as she lay it on the bed. 

"Cute can apply to anyone in the right moment." Echo said and Adelia smiled back at her. 

"I bet Luke thinks you're cute." Adelia said, jumping on the bed and laying down next to Echo. She noted immediately how her expression changed and regretted it. Adelia wasn't stupid, as much as Echo had smiled and tried to pretend like nothing was going on, there was definitely something wrong. 

It wasn't just that Luke was never around, he'd been working long days ever since the wedding, but for the last two days she hadn't seen him at all except for once at breakfast. Adelia wasn't usually up that early, she was more of a brunch person, but that day she'd made it downstairs early. 

She couldn't understand it. Anytime she accidentally stumbled onto Echo and Luke alone, it was to find them in an embarrassing moment. Usually something like a kiss, or a hug, they type of thing she would rather not witness. For the most part, Adelia would just back up and out of the room, leaving them to enjoy some time alone, after all, they were newly weds.  That morning.... Well, it was worse than if she had caught them arguing 

She hadn't seen much, had only caught an angry Luke practically shoving Echo away as she tried to talk to him. There had been some silence, followed by Echo asking when he'd be home. Luke slammed his coffee mug down before crowding Echo into the corner. Adelia knew she should have said something, should have walked into the room, tried to break the tension but she was scared. Adelia was scared because she had never seen this side of Luke and she wasn't sure what he would do next. She clenched her hands, prepared to storm in and save Echo if she had to but all Luke had down was stare. 

He'd stared her down coldly, any other woman, any other person, would have cowered but Echo was firm. She lifted her chin and face him directly, daring him. Luke brought a hand up, his knuckles just barely grazing her cheek, the fingers twitching as they skimmed over her skin.  Then, he shuffled away, grabbing his jacket. 

"I'll be home when I'm home." He said, stalking out. Adelia hid behind the door, waiting for Luke to pass before turning back into the kitchen. Echo was just standing there, a hand over her chest, taking deep breaths as if she was trying to clam herself. Then, with a deep sigh, she broke into sobs, soft sobs, silent sobs. 

Adelia didn't have the heart to intrude, she wanted to give Echo her space. But that didn't mean she didn't want to give Luke a piece of her mind. There was no reason to be so cold, especially to Echo who was must too nice. She'd been killing herself the last week trying to get his Christmas present ready- she certainly didn't deserve that. 

"Are you guys all packed up?" Adelia asked. They were heading to the Reid house to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas night. Echo sat up. 

"No, but I'll toss a bag together quickly." Echo said, "I suppose I could help Luke get packed."

"No need." 

Echo and Adelia both turned, finding Luke peeking into the room, his hands shoved deeply into his pockets. His tie was loose around his neck and it looked like he hadn't shave in days.