Part 46

"You're getting way too good at sneaking away with me." Echo said as they walked along some more private gardens. She was sure he was going to drag her to the dance floor like he had at the engagement party, but instead, he'd led her away from the crowd with a simple smile. 

"It's hard to resist. I feel like we've haven't had a moment alone." He said, watching her as the moonlight reflected on her skin. 

"Why do I feel like we've spent too much time alone lately?" She teased. It was strange, this feeling she had as they walked. Something suspiciously like contentment- she was calm... so completely at ease. 

Echo was startled by the realization. She was more at ease around Luke in this moment than she had been around anyone else... in maybe even her entire life. 

"If I had it my way, you and I would not have to be sneaking around for stolen moments." He said with a grin. 

Echo chuckled, turning to face him. 

"And what would you have us do?" She asked, enjoying this new feeling... this peace. 

"I'd have you and I, enjoying many breakfasts in bed, spending lazy evenings in the tub with a book, or just curled up as we argue over something ridiculous." He said, making her laugh. 

"That all sounds lovely." She said.

"We could do that, you know." He replied. 

"Like get away for the weekend?" She asked, raising her brow but he shook his head.

"I don't think that a weekend would ever be enough for me, Echo." He said with a sigh. 

Echo didn't respond, she didn't know what to respond. There was a couple of garden tables with chairs surrounding them, the party just barely visible from where they were now taking a seat.

"Echo, you're always asking me why I picked you." He said. 

"It's incredible to me." She said, "You're so... impressive, overwhelming... I don't understand what you see in me."

"Everything." He replied, tilting her chin up to his. "It's everything. In the beginning, I couldn't explain what it was that drew me to you. I think a part of me just knew instinctively that you were special. I don't know if it's the ridiculous jeans, or the way you just argued with me over everything from day one."

"I don't argue with you over everything. I've conceded on a lot without even putting up a fight..." Echo began to say but he laughed. 

"See what I mean?" He said. 

"I let you put a couple of strange men to follow me around." She said.

"Because you are smart, and practical, and your funny and strange mind just knew it was the logical thing to do." He said. 

"I'm having trouble deciding if these are compliments or not." She said. 

"You're not afraid of me." He said and Echo shook her head. 

"I'm terrified." She replied. "But no, not of you. Even if you seem a little scary, It's not really you that scares me."

"You see? You just say whatever you're thinking, just say it to me. You don't give in just because I am who I am, you pull me down to reality and I really enjoy the reality I share with you." Luke said, trying to piece his thoughts together without sounding like a complete idiot. 

"Whatever it is, I'm grateful for it, Luke. I'm just grateful to get to spend time with you." She finally admitted out loud. 

"Echo... I want you for me, I want to dance with you at a wedding and not care who sees us. I want to pick you up at your home when I take you out and I want people to know that you're mine." He said, "And in exchange, I'll be yours."