Part 38

"What are you doing?"

Vera stared straight ahead as she took another bite of her tuna melt sandwich.  She reached towards her napkin, dusting off her hands and then bringing it up to her lips. She turned, noting how Romy was now getting comfortable and opening her salad. It was typical of them to have lunch in one of the conference rooms, usually Romy's idea. Romy was addicted to work and so she was always insisting that they should use their lunch time to throw ideas off of each other. 

While it had always been assumed that one day Ben would take over as head of the company, as the years went by, it became more and more clear that Romy would probably be the best to do so. She had a better understanding of the company than anyone, and she had a truly unique and creative way of solving problems. Watching Romy work was almost like watching a musical- everything came together beautifully. 

Romy was a highly intelligent woman... but it was ashamed that when it came to emotional matters, she could be so completely clueless. 

"I'm having my lunch." Vera said simply. 

"While staring out the window like a creep?" Romy asked. It was true, she had walked in to catch Vera as she hovered by the blinds. 

"I was just catching a glimpse of the construction across the street." Vera said. 

"I wonder how many businesses are moving in." Romy asked. 

"I think it's just two." Vera said, "the building isn't going to be very large."

Romy shrugged, looking down at her salad and separating the vegetables. It was a weird habit but Romy just liked to have her food organized neatly... yes, even a salad. Vera rose again, carefully peeking through the blinds before gasping. 

"Oh my." Vera said, making Romy turn. 

"What?" Romy asked, noticing how Vera's peeping had now turned to unashamed staring.

"It's Luke Farina." Vera said with a smile. 

"And?" Romy asked. 

"Echo" Vera said, making Romy leap up from her seat and move to the window.

"Really?" Romy asked, peeking out. "Oh my indeed."

"This is wrong, we shouldn't be spying on them." Vera said.

"Well, if they didn't want to be spotted, they shouldn't be out in public. Especially right outside the office building." Romy said. 

"It's not like they're doing anything. They're just talking." Vera said, unable to look away. 

"Right." Romy said.

"What are you two looking at?" Alice said, making them both turn towards the door. 

"Hey! Didn't realize you were joining us for lunch." Vera said, moving back to her chair and prompting Romy to do the same. 

"We were just talking about the building across the street." Romy said as she sat back down. "Any idea who's moving in?"

"No, not yet. Although I'm assuming we should have an idea soon." Alice said. "I'm guessing their from out of town, or else your father and I would have heard by now."

"Speaking of... where is dad?" Vera asked, taking another bite of her sandwich. 

"Oh, he just ran across the street to pick up something to eat." Alice said, unpacking her lunch. "Apparently, he wasn't in the mood for ours."

Romy and Vera glanced at each other. 

"The sandwich shop?" Vera asked. 

"Yeah." Alice replied.