Part 40

"Sir?"

Luke was standing by the mirror, adjusting his shirt collar.

"Yes?" He said absentmindedly as he smoothed out the ends of his shirt. He turned left, turned right, trying to decide how he felt about it. Luke always dressed carefully, purposefully and tonight he was particularly picky about it. He'd already changed his shirt twice.

"Ms. Echo is here." The man said, making Luke grin.

"Thank you, let her know I'll out shortly." Luke said, still staring at himself.

"Yes, sir."

Luke sighed, shaking his head and moving towards his closet.  He glanced at the clock on the wall, he still had time. As meticulous as Luke was about his clothes, he was also very strict about being punctual. Luke took his time hanging up the now rejected shirt and slowly began to skim the selection in front of him before picking one out.

"Seriously?"

Luke chuckled and turned, finding Echo standing behind him, arms crossed and tapping her foot furiously.  He raised his brow, taking in every last inch of her, completely bowled over by how amazing she looked. She was really getting very good at dressing up for him.

"You look good." He said, biting his lip and moving towards her but she shook her head.

"You don't look ready." She said, sounding annoyed.

"I'm almost ready." He replied, reaching out for her. Echo frowned.

"You told me to be here 15 minutes ago and you're not ready." Echo said, "I thought you were Mr. Punctuality."

"We have time, calm down." He said, rolling his eyes as she stepped away. "I told you to be here early because I know you, and you were likely to be late."

She watched him, slightly annoyed, as he moved to put on another shirt.  She walked over, taking a seat on the bench and crossing her legs.

"I was not going to be late." She muttered as she watched him adjusting the shirt.

"I don't like to take chances." He said with a shrug, doing up his last button and turning to her with a smile. "Now, baby- How about you stop fighting with me and greet me properly?"

Echo stared at him, irritated by his smugness. Just because he was so damn handsome didn't mean he should be so smug about it.

"Come on." She said, turning to walk out but Luke reached over, grabbing her arm and pulling her to him.  Echo gasped in surprise.

"Funny..." He whispered, placing a hand behind her neck and bringing her closer, making her immediately forget how annoying he could be.

---

"You know I just realized, you said you were going to introduce me to some people, told me this was an anniversary but I have no idea who or where..." Echo said as Luke turned the corner.

They hadn't been driving long but Echo hadn't missed how large and impressive the houses were in this neighborhood.  She turned back to him as he drove, his hand had not left her leg. Of course, she tried shaking it off a couple of times but he wouldn't budge and so she'd decided just to let him have his way.

"Well, it's just a small dinner, family, maybe a neighbor or two. My aunt and uncle's 25th." He said simply.

"Wait, your aunt and uncle?" She asked, eyes wide.

"Yes. She was my father's sister." He said, "they're really nice."

"Your aunt and uncle?" She replied.