Chapter 63

"Onyx, I can explain-"

Terror floods my body as I look at the Blood Alpha, who's badly beaten and bloody, slumped in the corner of one of the cells. He's chained to the wall tightly in silver restraints.

"Do you realize what you've done?" I hiss in fear. "The Blood Luna will kill us all!"

"Onyx, it's the only way!" Finn grabs my hands, his eyes pleading. "The Moon Goddess has promised that if we find a way to hold Ares until the eclipse is over, she'll grant us our protected lands."

"In case if you didn't notice, that's not Ares!" I yell.

Finn shakes his head slowly. "She will come for mate. We told her to surrender herself or..."

"Or what! You'll kill him? Finn, this isn't right," I speak slowly. "And Ares will come. And she will kill us all for taking her mate."

I wasn't necessarily a fan of Cain, but he had been kind to me while visiting Blue Moon. He certainly didn't deserve to die.

Finn grabs the side of my face. "Onyx, I promise everything will be fine. I have help, you don't have to do a single thing. Just let us handle this."

"You're crazy," I hiss. "Let Cain go right now. You will bring Hell on our doorstep if you don't."

"Onyx, please," Finn begs. "You have to understand why I'm doing this! We only have to hold him for tomorrow. Once Ares surrenders herself, and after the eclipse is over, we'll have Dean wipe their memories and we'll let them go. Nobody has to get hurt."

I gesture to Cain. "He already did! Finn, please," I say calmly, my eyes pleading for him to understand how bad of an idea this is. "Please, let him go. If you don't, you might as well start digging our graves right now."

Finn shakes his head. "I can't, Onyx. For us, for our pups, for our future."

"You're fucking crazy," I tell him. "I'm letting the Blood Alpha go before Ares finds out we stole him."

I go to the cell, but it's locked. "Finn, give me the keys," I say calmly, but I'm shaking in fear.

Finn looks at me, his eyes wide.

I try to drain the life from outside of the prison, but the cement walls are too thick and I can't. And then I attack my husband.

I swing at him, but he's fast, too fast and too much stronger than me. He easily holds my wrists with one of his hands, and I hear his keys jingle.

No, no, no.

He gently pushes me towards the cell, and when I whip my head around to look at him in terror, his eyes are conflicted, apologetic.

I struggle in his grasp, but it's like iron as he opens the cell and nudges me in before releasing me and closing the gate behind me.

He locks me in the cell with the Blood Alpha.

"Finn," I whisper in disbelief.

Finn looks at me guilty, his face full of remorse. "I'm so sorry, my love. I can't have you trying to free him. Not until the eclipse is over. I promise, Onyx, everything will be okay. He's chained up, he won't be able to hurt you in there."

"Finn," I say calmly, even though I feel anything but. "You're not thinking clearly. You have to let us out."

A tear slips out of the corner of Finn's eyes. "I'm so sorry," He whispers, his voice cracking.

And he turns around and leaves me alone with the Blood Alpha.

***

I pace around the cell as much as I can, careful to avoid the Blood Alpha, who watches me curiously. I thought he was unconscious when Finn and I were arguing, but once I was in the cell, his eyes opened.