Chapter 43

The next few days pass by in agonizing slowness.

For the first day, I stood by the window, watching the sun rise and set as wolves came and left the house throughout the day. Some of them looked curiously up at me, but quickly looked away, like they had orders to leave me alone.

After the first day, when Finn came in and saw me standing on the shattered glass by the window, he cleaned the glass and brought in a chair and placed it facing the window.

He brought me food throughout the days, none of which I touched, the idea of eating making me nauseated. He begged for me to eat something, anything, but I simply ignored him.

His sister, Kallista, came into the room a few times, no doubt sent by Finn to try to get me to eat something, to say something. I ignored her too.

Even one of the rogues, Dean, the twin with the scar, came in with a glass of water and threatened to pour it down my throat if I didn't drink it myself. "You know how many girls would kill to have me threatening them?" He boasted, and it was the first time I cracked a smile since Grey's death. 

I drank the water, and he sat on the floor next to me for awhile, telling me about the hottest "chicks" in the house, and which ones he successfully "conquered". He reminded me of Gwen, and I was thankful for the distraction, that he was the only one who didn't seem interested in what happened to me, or at least was smart enough to not ask.

On the seventh day since Grey's death, I woke up in the chair just as the sun began to rise, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders and another on my legs that wasn't there when I went to sleep.

A soft knock rapt on the door, and I didn't take my eyes off of the sunset.

"I brought you breakfast and tea," Finn said softly from behind me.

I ignored him, not turning away from the window. The morning air was crisp, cool.

"You have to eat, Onyx," He pleaded. "Just one bite and I'll leave you alone."

"Not hungry," I say, my voice raspy.

He sighs, and turns the chair away from the window, making me scowl. "I'm taking you back to Blue Moon."

Dread fills me. "No!" I shout in horror. "I won't go back there."

"You're dying, Onyx!" He shouts back, making me flinch. He hadn't ever raised his voice at me before. "You haven't eaten in a week, you're wasting away right in front of me."

He grabs my wrist, holding it up for me to see. Skin is pulled tight, barely covering the bone, and I avert my gaze.

"I don't care if it takes you going back to Thane for you to be healthy again, but I won't let you sit here and waste away," He threatens.

"Don't say that name to me ever again," I hiss, yanking my wrist out of his grasp.

His eyes soften. "What happened, Onyx? Please, just tell me and I'll help you."

I laugh humorlessly. "You can't help. He's already dead."

Finn's face contorts in confusion. "Thane isn't dead."

"No, I'm not that lucky," I say bitterly, wrapping the blanket tighter around me.

His eyes darken. "What the fuck did he do?" He snarls, his hands shaking in anger.

"He killed him," I say, my voice trembling.

"He killed who, Onyx?"

"Greyson," I whisper. "He killed Grey."