Chapter 24

Ares practically flew out of the car, and she was inside the pack prison before Gwen or I could even get out of the car.

Gwen unbuckled her seatbelt and we rushed out of the car to follow Ares in, when we were stopped by Axel and Leo.

"Apologies, the Alphas have restricted access to the prison during this time," Leo spoke formally.

"Fuck off with that BS," Gwen snarled, trying to push past him. Leo restrained her, wrapping his arms around her.

"Let go of me, jack wagon!" Gwen hissed, still struggling in Leo's grasp. "That fucker is the reason I lost my mate, I want a front row seat to his death."

"I'm under orders from my Alpha to keep both of you away from the prison. We're going back to the pack house, whether I have to drag you there myself or not," Leo's voice was resolute, not leaving any room for arguments.

"You're not going to want to see what's going on in there anyways," Axel muttered quietly to me, and as if on cue, I heard a scream from the building, and I was inclined to agree with him. If Wilson was the reason the Blood Luna and Alpha could not conceive, I had no doubt that the torture would be gruesome.

"Fine, let me go, jerk. I'll behave," Gwen promised, and stopped squirming in Leo's arms. Leo released her, and immediately, she spun around, punching him in the jaw. He groaned, grabbing his face, and Gwen was sprinting to the entrance.

She almost made it, but Leo tackled her before she could reach the door. He pinned her to the ground, and she struggled to get out from underneath him.

"Stop fighting me!" He roared, so much authority in his voice it almost made me drop to my knees.

Gwen whimpered from underneath him, her body relaxing. I was surprised when Leo leaned his head down, and kissed her. I was even more surprised when Gwen kissed him back with ferocity.

"Let's go back," Axel muttered to me, and I nodded, pulling my eyes away from the kissing wolves.

Axel hopped in the car and drove us back to the pack house in silence. When we arrived, Jason and Lucas were pacing in the living room.

"Is it true? They really have Wilson?" Lucas asked, and Axel nodded.

The Gammas visibly relaxed, and we all took a seat in the living room. "If she kills him, she'll become the Alpha," Lucas pointed out.

"I know," Axel simply stated, and I gasped.

"What do you mean, become the Alpha?" I asked in confusion. "The Alpha of what?"

Axel sighed. "Wilson is technically the Alpha of the Red Crescent pack, where Ares was originally the Gamma, until she became the Luna of Blood Lake." My mouth dropped slightly open. It shouldn't have surprised me that the dangerous female had been a Gamma, but it did. What he said next surprised me even more.

"Wilson is her birth father. She is the heir to the Red Crescent pack. When she kills Wilson, she will undergo the Alpha transition," Axel explained.

I gasped. The person who had been training me had been an Alpha by birthright, which undoubtably explained her raw power and strength. "When she becomes the Alpha... How much stronger will she be?"

None of them had an answer.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I tossed and turned, unable to sleep that night. By morning, Thane still hadn't returned. I knew that I was safe with Axel and Jason guarding my door, as they said they were under strict orders from Thane to not leave me unguarded until he returned. His protectiveness over me warmed my heart, and I longed to have him back with me already.