Chapter 7

Dear Diary,
It's been over 2 years since I have written in you! First, I lost you and then when I foudn you there was nothing interesting to tell you.
I'm at a hospital in Brooklyn, New York in the United States. John and I-

A loud knock came at my bedroom door, interupting my reading. I jasped, stuffed the diary in my purse, and opened teh door. Mother stood there, a dress draped over her arm.

"Your dress was just finished! I want you to try it on so that I can see what you look like." Mother said, sitting down in a chair.

I blinked at the sudden demand, but changed into the dress. It was an ice blue with pearls lining the hem, neck and cuffs. A thin string of diamonds was wrapped around the waist. I held back a grimace as I stepped out of my closet to show Mother.

"You look beautiful, dear! I cant wait to see you in it on your brithday. Now, hang that up and come with me. We have plenty of things to do for your birthday. It's going to be special this year since you are turning ten."

I groaned inwardly. This might take days of planning! I won't be able to get away to read the diary.

I hung up the dress, slipped on my original one and followed Mother to the library. Tables were set up with all sorts of things on them: silverware, plates, bowls, fabric samples for table clothes, strings of different colored lightes, pictures of different ice sculptures, magazines of hair styles and makeup ideas, drink samples, snack samples, music pecies, and even clothes for the servants who would be serving the snacks and drinks.

My jaw dropped. "I have to go through all this?" I asked in disbelief. 

"Of course, dear. Now, let's get started: this could take a few days. Then we have the meny to go through, and you party is in a week and a half.

I groaned as I walked up the the silverware table. There were at least 75 choices to choose from. Some of them she I didn't even know we had. I spent three hours closley examining them, deciding which set looked better with the color of the ice. I settled for the silver set with a small diamond at the end of each utensil. Then I moved on to the plates. There were more choices tehan the silverware. This time it took four hourse. I chose the white plates and then the white bowls, both with fancy thin diamond trim around the edges. That was all we had tiem for that day. I still had lessons and I had to practice the routine with Carlos. By the time dinner was served, I was ready to drop, but I ate and talked with the other kids. Instantly after dinner, I changed into silk pj's and dropped into bed, hiding under the covers.

Why me? Dumb brithday. By the time it gets here, I won't be able to say awake for the while thing. I thought. Then I remember the diary. I'll get to it when I get to it.

................................................................................................................................................................

"Princess, it's time to wake up. You have a busy day today." Rosa's soft voice filled my ears.

I groaned and looked at the alarm clock on my nightstayd. It was 7:00. 

"Rosa, it's too early to get up." I groaned agian.

"Your mother wants you to meet her in the library in fifteen minutes, Princess." Rosa urged. I sighed and practically rolled out of bed. I changed and groggily made my way to the library where Mother sat near the table of the music peices, two trays of food on a small cart next to her.

"We won't have time to ear with everybody else this morning, dear, I'm sorry. Today we'll be going through music selections here." I gulped hwen I saw the stacks of music tapes next to a radio.