Chapter 6

"I didn't know you knew how to respond to a reporter." I whispered to Carlos while Mother spoke with the manager.

Carlos shrugged. "I know ho to, I just don't like to. You looked uncomftorable when that reporter refered to us as boyfriend and girlfriend, so I took over. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind. Thank you, Carlos" Then I added. "And thank you for telling her we aren't together."

Carlos just nodded. He seemed uncomftorable with the topic, so I didn't say anything else.

"Here we are." The manager came out of the back room, carrying two packages. "These are the suits. They should fit you perfectly, both of you." 

I pulled my out of the bag. It was black with firey designs coming up from the ankles to the knees, cuffs to the elbows and aroudn the neck. Carlos' was the same thing. 

"These are perfect! Don't you think so, Carlos?" I asked him, smiling.

"Yes. They seem very flexible." He commented, smiling back at me.

"Mother said that you had red skates to show us? May I see them?" I asked. I replaced the suit in the bag while the manager showed us the skates.

"I think black skates would match better. Too much red in one area doesn't look good." I told the man. He brought out two pairs of black skates with red laces, and I agreed that they looked good with the costumes. Mother paid for the materials, and we walked out the door. The reporters were still there.

"No comments." Carlos and I said in unison, as a reporter opened his mouth.

"If royals hardly ever answer their questions, why do reporters keep asking us things?" I asked, looking out the window as they drove to the castle.

"They just want good publicity for their papers." Mother answered. 

I nodded. As the car moved though town, earning stares and dropped jaws from everyone they passed, she saw a man, about forty, sitting on the street. He was dirty and in need of a shave and a haircut.

"Mother, could you tell the driver to stop please?" I asked. 

Once we stopped, I stepped out and walked over to the man, who looked up at me in awe and confusion.

"Hi. I'm Princess Courtney. What is your name?" I asked him kindly.

"Jacob Ashton." The man replied.

I smiled and reached into my purse. I pulled out a hundred dollar bill and gave it to Jacob before walking away. When I took my seat back in the limo and closed the door, Mother looked at me with a small smiled on her face, but said nothing.

................................................................................................................................................................

"All right, let's go through it one more time and then stop for the day." I suggested. Carlos nodded and then started the music over. I skated over to him and began our complicated routine. It was a graceful yet slightly dangerous routine that was for experienced skaters, but we had completed it with only a few stumbles.

"Good job, Carlos." I said with a smile. "I'll meet you here tomorrow at about... nine-thirty? Is that okay?"

"Yes, Just a few more practices and we'll have it down. And I have a good idea for a different song." He winked.

"What is it?" I asked eagerly, untying my skates.

"You'll see tomorrow." He said. 

I grumbled as I left the rink, following Carlos.