Chapter 1 An Electrifying PowerSource

As rain poured hard down the cold streets of Ninjago City, busy civilians sped past one another. It was early in the afternoon, but the rushing storm made it feel as though it was much later. The wind began to howl, before the loud, blaring sound of a school bell could be heard in the distance. The front doors of Ninjago city's biggest school opened. Children and teens rushed out the doors to escape the rain along with the boredom of school itself. Many of them wore darkened outfits to match the dreary weather. However, one child stuck out with his bright blue jacket covering his pale face. With no raincoat or umbrella, the young teen was reduced to shielding his eyes with nothing but his hands and the small hood that accompanied his jacket.

"Great, just my luck," he whispered as the freckled faced boy ran down the wet streets of Ninjago City. He could have taken a bus, but Wednesdays were different. Wednesdays were when his parents wouldn't be home for a while, and he would get to spend time with an old friend. The boy sped faster and faster. He dodged the many people crowding up the sidewalks and slowed down once he arrived at his destination. It was an old antique store. The building was small with blue paint peeling on the outside. A dulled out sign was spread across the top that read " Julien's Antiques". Another sign was placed on the front window with the word "Open" in lit up letters. The boy smiled before entering the store. A bell went off at the sudden sound of the door opening. The lights inside were dimmed as the young teen gazed at all the old gadgets and gizmos stored inside with excitement.

BOOM!

The loud noise caused the young man to jump in alarm. He rushed towards the back of the shop and down the long flight of stairs to be greeted by much smoke.

"Mr. Julien? You okay down here?" the boy spoke with a cough. The smoke soon cleared to reveal an old man with thinning white hair. He wore a lab coat with round, thick glasses.  He used a rag to wipe the ash off his face and glasses.

"Yes yes, I'm fine, Jay. I just ran into abit of trouble with my invention," he admitted with a chuckle.

"You still working on that robot?" the boy known as Jay asked. He quickly took a seat on a stool.

"Yes, I almost have all the parts together. Alot of nice people have been coming by the shop to sell their old stuff to me. It's amazing what kind of parts you can find in grandfather clocks or even record players," Mr. Julien explained with a warm smile. His warm smile soon faded, after he turned back to the smoking object on the counter. Jay looked closer to see that it was large car battery.

"You're trying to use a car battery to power it?" Jay asked with confusion in his tone.

"I guess, I have yet to find a powersource strong enough to power him," Mr. Julien stated with a frown as he moved away from the counter.

"Him?" Jay questioned with now curiosity. Mr. Julien walked towards a table in the center of his concrete basement. The large table held a human like shape underneath a white sheet. The old man removed the white cloth to reveal a young boy, close to Jay's age. Jay stared in awe at how life like the boy looked. He was a pale teen with blonde, army cut hair. He wore a simple blue shirt underneath a white jacket with grey jeans to go with it.

"This... this is the robot? He... looks so... so real!" Jay cheered with amazement clear in his voice. Mr. Julien chuckled at the young boy's excitement. Jay dropped his astonishment quickly once a question formed in his mind. He glanced over at his old friend with concern.

"Mr. Julien? Why... why exactly are you building a robot so... so life like?" Jay asked. Realization of the question hit Mr. Julien like a firetruck. The old man stood there with a weary face, not wanting to explain such a touchy subject to a young boy.

"I... I lost someone dear to me a long time ago. She... she always wanted a boy, but we never got the chance," Mr. Julien started with a grim gaze. Jay noticed the tight grip Mr.Julien had on the robot's hand. Jay grew concerned once again for his friend.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--" The look of sadness in the man's eyes were quickly calmed by a deep breath. A small smile soon replaced it. He turned away from the robot and faced the gingered haired boy.

"No, it's alright, Jay." The old man's focus then turned back to the car battery. "I just wish I could find enough energy to power him," Mr. Julien continued. Jay looked over at the battery as well; an idea suddenly came to him. He was hesitant, but he shook off the uneasiness.

"I could try... to power him," Jay suggested. Mr. Julien turned back to him surprised

"Are you sure? You said it yourself that you couldn't hold it that long. I don't want you to hurt yourself," the inventor stated with a serious tone.

"Hey, I can charge up my phone battery and laptop with no problem. How much can a robot take to charge?" Jay asked with a chuckle.

"A lot more, Jay," Mr. Julien replied. No humor could be seen on his face.

"I've been meaning to practice anyway. Please, let me give it a shot, Mr. Julien," Jay pleaded. Mr. Julien looked over the teen before him and contemplated on what to do. Jay's eyes grew bigger in desperation. Mr. Julien soon sighed and nodded.

"But we're stopping as soon as it gets too much for you to handle, understand? I'd like to not have to lie to your parents as to why you past out again," Mr. Julien explained while straightening his glasses. Jay fist bump the air in victory. He rushed back over to the stool. He set down the backpack that he forgot he was still wearing. Mr. Julien grabbed his jumper cables and headed over to Jay.
He handed one end to the excited teen and hooked the other end to the robot. It was then that Jay realized the robot really wasn't a regular boy. He saw Mr. Julien open up the robot's chest and hooked up the other end of the jumper cables. The old inventor quickly stood back and gave a nod towards Jay to start. In a matter of seconds, Jay concentrated on the powers deep inside him. He imagined how it normally felt to charge his phone or his laptop. He moved that feeling towards his hands and focused. He felt the surge of energy flow through his fingers and soon let it out.

Zap!

Blue lightning soon began to shoot out from Jay's hands, through the chords, and into the robot. Mr. Julien stared in awe at the amount of electricity the short, skinny teen was releasing. The robot's body jolted upward at the sudden power, and it's hands began to move. A wider smile started to form over the old inventor as he let out a chuckle.

"You're doing it, Jay! Just a little more and---Jay!" Mr. Julien stopped his comment once he realized the boy was nearly tipping over in his seat. Mr. Julien rushed over to him. He placed a hand on Jay's shoulder but quickly took it back from being shocked. "Jay! That's enough! Let go of the cables!" Mr. Julien shouted, trying to reach the poor boy. With a sudden jolt, Jay released the cables while letting out a loud gasp. He held a hand to his chest as he tried to catch his breath again. "You alright, Jay?" the inventor questioned his freckled faced friend.

"I think so. Did I charge him enough?" Jay asked once his breathing slowed down.

"Almost, but it won't work a second time. Thanks for trying, but he needs a powersource that can constantly charge him anyway or else he'll just power down again in a few hours. Where am I going to find a powersource like that?" Mr. Julien asked to mostly himself. Silence seemed to surround the two of them until the old inventor broke it again.
"Well, I guess that'll be a question for another day. You still have a couple hours with me, before your parents are home. Why don't we work on one of my other projects?" Jay smiled and nodded in agreement. The two friends headed out of the main room of the basement and towards a side room. Jay, though, glanced back at the robot one last time before joining his old friend with his other inventions.