Chapter 39 I'm No Monster

A/n: Now back to our regularly scheduled program... 🤣😁

"Cole..."

Maybe it was her clothes being soaked. Maybe it was her stress building up to an explosive level. Maybe it was the sight of seeing Cole again. Whatever caused Seliel's whole body to shake, she'll never know. However, her mind snapped out of her trance when Zane rushed in again, nearly hitting her with a sai he had just pulled out.

Seliel deflected the weapon with one of her katanas, just in time, as the two sides clashed. The phantom figured that she'd be greeted with glowing red orbs, but the nindroid's gentle blue stare met her's.

"Zane?" she whispered, lowering her guard, but the ice master threw his now two sais at her again. Seliel dove, rolling across the rooftop, before swinging her blade.

Clank!

"Don't hold back. Others are watching," he muttered once his face grazed towards her ear. Seliel shoved him away and did a quick scan behind the nindroid. Sure enough, a few other elementals were watching them from the shadows. "They don't know yet that I broke his hold, and it won't be long before the OverLord tries to take over again. Seliel, he wants me to..."

"I know..." she muttered, continuing to dodge the nindroid's attacks. "I figured the only reason you'd bring me here is to harm me."

"I tried to stop him, but he-"

"Don't blame yourself, Zane. You can do this. You're stronger. Everyone else is on their way. It's almost over," Seliel remarked before knocking Zane to the ground. She winced at the rough landing. "Sorry... got carried away."

"No, that's good. We just need to keep this up until help arrives. Just. Need. To." Zane muttered before he clutched his head. His sais crashed to the ground while his eyes flashed red. Zane squeezed them shut, shaking his head.

"Come on, Zane. Come on," Seliel pleaded as she stepped closer. The nindroid gasped. His eyes shot open to reveal sapphires again. The phantom's shoulders eased up. "You scared me there for a minute."

"Don't congratulate me, yet. He's bringing in reinforcements," Zane muttered before reclaiming his weapons and jumping to his feet. Like a crack of lightning, the hidden elementals emerged and surrounded the two ninja. Zane and Seliel stood back-to-back, weapons raised.

"Okay, okay. Not bad odds. We can hold--Whoa!"

The rooftop beneath them cracked like a crumbling cookie, causing the group to sway. Their attention then turned towards the front edge of the building. A figure crawled up the side, carrying a rather large scythe. Their glowing orbs were engulfed in fury at the sight of the two ninja.

"I just had to open my big mouth," Seliel whined.

"Let us just hope our friends get here quickly," Zane stated before they both charged.

...

Clank! Clank! Clank!

Chen was greeted by a thunderous sound of metal smashing against more metal. The elder man lifted his head before groaning from the soreness of his body.

"Clouse is going to pay for that," the noodle man muttered, rubbing his arms.

"Chen?" a voice spoke through the darkness. Master Chen snapped his attention away from the aching muscles and searched around.

"Who's there?" he asked angrily. The old man got to his feet and noticed the faint sight of metal bars.

"You're still alive?" the same voice asked.

"Of course I'm still alive! Now who's there!?" the noodle man shouted, gripping the bars. On the other side of the dark hallway, another cell rested. A figure stepped closer to the second set of bars. Their raven hair was ruffled with dirt and dust.