Chapter 8

“Are the rumors true?” Elaine asked me at lunch.

            I panicked. “What rumors?”

            For a split second, I thought my best friend was going to say “You had sex with Matt and he got you pregnant!” But it was just my fears talking, because Elaine said, “I’ve had several witnesses saying they saw you and Matt fighting this morning.”

            I couldn’t describe how relieved I was at that answer. Keeping myself in control, I asked, “So?”

            And Elaine erupted, “You guys don’t fight!”

            I shrugged. “Every couple fights.”

            “Why didn’t you tell me you were having problems?”

            “Every couple has problems.”

            “Not you two.”

            “What makes you say that?” I asked, curious.

         “You two are like the magic couple.” Her words slowed down as she stressed again, “Everybody was talking about your fight this morning. No joke.”

            Taking a sip of my smoothie, I said, “Let them talk.”

            Elaine rolled her eyes. “Fine.” She sounded exasperated, but she smiled.

            Elaine Derksen was a strong character, to say the least, if a bit crazy when trying to prove a point. Many people did not know how to deal with her. When we first met in freshman year, I hadn’t been looking for new friends. I had my own posse from middle school; that had been enough.

            But then Elaine had brought me back down to earth as she explained to me, “It’s people like you who bring the stereotypical American high school to life. You make friends according to what you look like, or what you like to do in your free time. The thing is, nobody is exactly the same, and people fake their interests in order to fit in. It’s messed up. No joke.”

            So I hung up my shopping phase and began to create new experiences. New friends. New interests. A new life.

            When I ran into Matt the following year, I was dead set on who I was. If I hadn’t met Elaine, I probably would have made out with Matt, and I never would have felt the thrill of his chase or experienced the best possible outcome of our first date.

            Then again, I wouldn’t be pregnant right now.

            “History class is my fail subject, Tissa. I really need your help this weekend,” Elaine was saying.

            “Another project from Mr. Craig?”

            Elaine nodded sadly. “We have to write a blog!”

            “It’s not the end of the world.”

            “Well it feels like it.”

            I laughed. “At least you don’t have to deal with Sammy.”

            “Sammy’s a nice kid,” Elaine said, staring off into space.

            I waved a hand in front of her gave until she focused on me again. “You only say that because you think he has a crush on you.”