Chapter 3

I sat between Elaine and Melissa. There were napkins on every plate, forks on one side, knives on the other… But here’s the thing about Melissa’s family and dinner. As normal as they can seem on the outside, they’re actually very weird when it comes down to the main part of dinner: the food.

            Mrs. Moore emerged from the kitchen carrying a platter of fish and a platter of French toast, setting them down in the middle of the table as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

            “Is there syrup?” I asked, unfolding my napkin to put it on my lap.

            “I’m pretty sure we ran out,” Melissa told me. She looked warily at Mr. Craig, who sat across from her. “Sorry about that.”

            I smiled, trying to ease the tension in the room. “That’s okay. French toast is still just as good without syrup as it is with.” And I grabbed two triangle slices, putting them on the side of my plate, before scooping up some fish.

            Mr. Craig didn’t seem in the least bit fazed about the combinations of food, and I was surprised to see him try everything Mr. and Mrs. Moore laid on the table. Jeremy didn’t arrive until halfway through dinner, and I could have sworn we had been sucked into a whirlwind of silence before his presence kind of… pulled us out.

            Elaine and I tried to start idle chatter, asking Melissa safe questions, but she really wasn’t biting, so we turned to Jeremy, who had a lot to say about his band.

            “We’re rehearsing for a gig coming up in a few weeks. There’s a bunch of high school bands playing. Actually, if any of you guys play something or sing, you should audition. They’re short a few bands. Or you could volunteer at ticket booths or food stalls. I hear they need people. And volunteers get to go for free.”

            I shrugged, processing this for a few short seconds before dismissing the offer. Melissa had a slight sparkle in her eye though. “I might just do that,” she said. “Not perform. But volunteer, so I can see you play for free.”

            Jeremy was sitting next to her, and I saw Melissa’s cheeks redden when he put a hand on hers.

            I didn’t see the point of getting embarrassed when Mr. Craig was sitting on the opposite side of the table, obviously unable to see. Goodness, Melissa liked to make a big deal out of everything.

            When I saw Elaine roll her eyes as she took a bite of her food, I couldn’t help but smile.

            “Melissa, dear, you and Jeremy are always welcome to spend time together,” Mrs. Moore said, out of the blue. I nearly choked when I saw Melissa’s face. “And all I want to say, before I forget, is that safety—“

            “Mom!” Melissa cried.

            I could feel my cheeks redden. Elaine gave me a quick concerned glance, but her expression changed just as quickly to one that looked like she was about to burst out laughing any minute.

            Jeremy said, “So did I tell you guys my band—“

            “Melissa, you’re mature enough to have this conversation—“

            I started to raise my hand to ask a question before thinking better of it. Just because Mr. Craig was here didn’t mean I had to act like I was in school. “Um, Mrs. Moore, what’s for dessert tonight?”

            “Oh, that’s a surprise, sweetie.” And then her eyes went back to Melissa. “You don’t have to be afraid to talk about this kind of stuff—“

            “At the dinner table?” Melissa nearly screeched.

            “I kind of wanna know what dessert is though,” I said. I really should have shut up, but I honestly had no idea how to help Melissa.

            Mrs. Moore took a long look at me, and then her eyes scanned the whole table. Clearing her throat, she gave a slight shake of her head. “Then I guess it’s about time I bring out dessert.” She left the room. Mr. Moore followed her after a quick look at his daughter.

            “Any chance dessert is going to be ice cream and baby back ribs?” Mr. Craig asked.

            And then I couldn’t help laughing.

            Why Melissa had been dreading this dinner was actually beyond me. Mr. Craig wasn’t that bad! I was happy when I saw Melissa get more comfortable showing her affection for Jeremy. They had been going out for a while.

            I felt my phone buzz in the pocket of my jeans as we all helped clear the dishes, moving to the living room. I slowed down behind everyone, stopping in a hallway when I saw who the text was from.

            Matt. Hey, Tissa. Sorry I haven’t texted in a while. Been adjusting to the neighborhood. You have no idea how alone I feel. Wish I could have my arms around you right now. Staring at a picture of us right now. I miss you.

            My eyes were tearing up, and I wiped at them angrily. This wasn’t supposed to be hard!

            But I had to keep up a face for these people, for Matt, for everyone. I blinked several times, trying to rid myself of the tears, and then I lingered in the hallway for a moment while texting Matt back.

            It’s alright. I miss you like crazy too.

            I wanted to give him more comfort, something to hang on to, but at the moment, pouring my heart out would probably only put more pressure on him, reminding him that I was alone.

            I entered the living room with feigned cheerfulness. Melissa was busy trying to talk herself down as her parents talked her up, but Elaine gave my shoulder a squeeze as I took a seat next to her.

            “Matt?” she mouthed. I only nodded, and understanding entered her eyes.

            Her compassion was another reason she was my best friend.

            The night ended soon after, and I felt like my silence might have worried my friends, especially since they kept on looking my way, like I was the most important person there, even though it was more Melissa and Jeremy’s night.

            But I didn’t want to seem important or significant. There was nothing special about me. This was reality. I was pregnant.

            Thinking that made my stomach drop a little, but not in the sense where I had to throw up all the food I had just eaten. It was in the sense where I was realizing that, no matter how hard I tried, my life would never be the same again.

            And no amount of fish and French toast was ever going to change that.

***

Hey guys, this is kinda a filler chapter, and I think I want to find a way to get rid of it later on, but I'm hoping it's entertaining:)

Sorry for the EXTREMELY late update! (Another one coming very very very soon)