Chapter Two: A girl?

That fox is on the loose again. It's destroying the town, mostly the bins, and making a mess. What's it doing that for? Unfortunately, this fox is too smart, even for us. There are cameras all over Griffin Rock but this fox has just managed to avoid them all. There is something wrong with this fox. Or is this a normal thing for a fox? Either way, this fox is getting annoying.

What is slightly confusing me though is the fact that the fox only comes out at night. Never during the day. Reading more about foxes, I know they wander around during the day so why can't we find it? But since the first incident, something has confused me. There were human footprints on the first crime scene but when we went on watch, there was a fox. Not a human.

Unless I'm missing something. I asked the chief if he had pictures of the crime scene and he said he did and gave them to me. I looked at the shoe print. They were (your shoe size) and I noticed there were paw prints on them too. Do their shoes have a print on the bottom to try to throw people off?

Or was that an accident? I asked Chase about it to hear his opinion on the matter and he said he never noticed the paws. I don't blame him because they were very faint. This is a bigger mystery than the first incident. I needed to think more about this so I went out to the nearby forest to help me think.

"This case is impossible. Was it a human or a fox? This is too confusing," I said out loud.

"Good morning," I heard a female voice say.

I looked around but I couldn't see anyone.

"I thought we were smarter than this. To find a criminal shouldn't be as hard as this. It never has been in the past. This doesn't make me look much like a good leader, does it?"

"Good morning," I heard the female voice again and I saw a girl with a fox hood over her head but I could see her face.

"Good morning," I said walking closer but she ran and hid behind a giant tree stump.

I saw what she was wearing when she ran. It was a long-sleeved orange dress with a hood and the dress part was like a small tutu. The hood had ears on it and, while she was peeking out the side of the tree, I noticed there was a fox face on it that was white with black eyes, nose and black tips on the ears. She also wore some white leggings with orange ends and some light brownish-orange shoes. For being dressed as a fox, I half expected her to have a tail but she didn't.

She peeked out from the tree stump, "you're a leader?"

"Yes," I replied.

She just stayed there and gave a slight nod. Suddenly, she raced past another tree and hid behind a bigger tree. There's something odd about her. She popped out from the side of the tree and looked about using only her eyes.

"I'm a fox," and she hid again.

Well, that was something I didn't expect to hear. She was quite clearly human. I decided to just play along. I'll never understand humans.

"I was just out for a walk, would you care to join?" I asked. I was more curious about her than anything else.

She popped out again and quietly laughed, covering her mouth. She quickly popped out the other side and said, "no," and hid again.

"Why not?" I asked, "it'll be fine."

She ran off to another tree and popped out the side again. Wow, does this girl like to move.

"Where are the others?" She asked.

I looked around confused, "what others?"

"The other hunters," she replied hiding.