Chapter 13

Lea's P.O.V.

I woke to the sound of water and the memories of last night's events and revelations running through my mind. I sat up and pushed myself against the head boards of the bed and crossed my legs Indian style. I played with the hem of my shirt and listened as the water turned off.

So much had happened over the last five years. So much that I was unsure of what my place in life was, where I belonged, and what I should do. My mind kept telling me one thing, and my heart and body, well that was a whole different story. I lifted my fingers to my lips, remembering the way Carter had tenderly kissed me and how his rough lips felt against mine. I was so lost in thought that I hadn't heard the bath door open.

"Good Morning Beautiful."

I shrieked and flew to the opposite side of the bed and under the covers. Deep laughter filled the room and I slowly lowered the blanket.

Carter's amused and steel blue eyes watched me as he towel dried his hair.

"Holy Mother Mary," I muttered as my eyes followed a water drop down Carter's chest, over his six pack, and to the waist band of of his dark jeans.

He was sculpted to perfection and every muscle flexed as he rubbed the towel through his hair and across his shoulders.

"I told you last night, no one could resist this." His voice was husky as he spoke.

"Your weren't freaking kidding." I sighed out.

As I realized what I said, I slapped my hand over my mouth, my face heating to an unbearable degree, and muttered, "Shit."

My wide eyes met Carter's dark ones. "I could show you more if you would like, Lea."

I swallowed hard. "Nope, I'm good. Good I am. I don't need to see anymore, not right now. Nope, nope, nope."

I hadn't meant to say any of that out loud, but it was like something had turned off the filter between my mouth and my brain. Carter shook his head as I fell back onto the bed and covered my face with the pillow and let out an exasperated scream.

I felt the bed dip beside me and the pillow being pulled away from my face. Carter's fingers trailed over my jawline and across my lips as he spoke quietly. "Anytime you would like for me to, all you have to do is say the words, Lea. But for now, you need to get showered and dressed."

Carter stood and crossed the room, disappearing through a set of double doors and then walking back out with a shirt in his left hand, and a pair of pants, a tee, and undergarments in the other. I raised a brow, waiting for an answer to my unasked question.

"I had Mahalia bring some of your things in here this morning," he explained, holding the clothes out to me that were in his right hand. "Lewis and Leon are already on duty and will escort you to brunch. I have a meeting to attend."

He stopped talking and reached out to brush my hair from my face. "I know you already know this, Lea, but make sure you don't go anywhere without Lewis and Leon. Especially now that we know the mole is someone close to us."

I nodded in understanding, "I won't. I promise."

Carter looked torn as he stood and walked to the doors. "I won't see you until dinner."

"What!? The almighty Carter skipping a meal?" I threw my arm against my forehead and mocked Carter to ease the tension.

"Ha, Ha, very funny." 

Carter reached for the door, but paused as I spoke quietly, "Be careful."

A small smile formed on his lips, "I will. I promise."