Epilogue

Video - Ariana Grande, The Weeknd - Love Me Harder

Carter's P.O.V. - One Year Later

I stood in my office, fidgeting nervously with the sleeves of my tux and looked over to Darrell. I growled at the smirk on his face as he raised his glass of Cognac in my direction. 

"You look like you could use a drink Carter."

I narrowed my eyes at my best friend.

"Are you sure you don't want one, it might help settle the nerves a bit."

I started pacing my office, "I'm sure. How much longer?"

"Anytime now. You know how women are, especially Lea."

I paced the room as Darrell kept his eyes on me and ran a hand through my hair and down my face, "Tell me about it."

Darrell opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as I narrowed my eyes at him, "I meant that sarcastically."

Darrell stood as a knock sounded at the office door.  Darrien, Tony, Leon, Lewis, Paul, Samuel, Lynx, Miller, and Xian walked in, all dressed in matching suits and ties.

"They're finally ready Boss." Darrien stood with his hand on the door as he continued, his eyes light and sparkling, "Are you sure you want to go through with this? It's not too late to back out and put that bullet in her."

I curled my hands into fist and followed the men out the door. I stopped beside Darrien and patted his cheek roughly, "It would be simpler, wouldn't it?"

"Yea, but," Darrell trailed off and started to slump as I moved my hand down and squeezed his shoulder tightly. 

Lea hadn't ceased to continue to annoy the shit out of everyone in the house, but we all knew that we wouldn't have her any other way. She had wormed her way into our hearts and into my soul. She was my breath, my life, my very reason for living. Without her, I would still be the lost, bitter monster my mother had made me believe I was for so many years. 

As I walked to the alter and stopped in front of the preacher, I thought back to the night I proposed to the woman I would from this day forward call my wife. 

* * * * * * * * *

I scanned the assortment of rings that were in the jeweler's case, Darrell standing beside me as I looked over each design.

"Why and the hell does there have to be so many damn choices?" I muttered lowly.

Darrell chuckled and laid his hand on my shoulder, "Because each woman is as unique and different as each one of those rings."

I sighed and clamped my hands onto the glass enclosure. "And Lea is about at fucking unique and different as they come."

"Yes, yes she is, but you wouldn't have her any other way, now would you?"

I tapped my knuckles against the glass, knowing that Darrell was right, "No."

The salesman walked over and folded his hands in front of him, "Have you made a decision, Mr. Stephens."

I snapped my head up and scowled, "Do I look like I have made a fucking decision?"

As soon as the words left my lips, I could hear Lea's voice in my mind, "Carter, behave yourself you overgrown brute."

I sighed and looked over the man, his eyes holding the same amusement as Darrell's. "Sorry," I hissed as I refocused my attention to the rings in front of me.