Chapter 28

Warning - Chapter may not be suitable for reading in public .. 

Video to the side - Florence and The Machine's - Never Let Me Go

Lea's P.O.V.

Carter held me in his lap the rest of the evening, refusing to let me go while I answered question after question about what happened with Victoria and Miguel, why Emilio shot Miller, and what happened to Xian. More than once, tempers flared, punches were thrown, and I had to threaten the men that would now forever be in my life with leaving again if they didn't behave themselves, which of course, only caused Carter to tighten his hold on me and his eyes to darken to the point they were nearly black. 

After a while the commotion settled down and I nestled into Carter's embrace, reveling in the warmth and comfort that being in his arms brought. How I couldn't see how much this man truly felt about me, despite everything, was beyond me. As he unconsciously ran his hands over my arms and up and down my back, I felt myself truly relax for the first time since leaving with Victoria and I slowly began to drift off to sleep. 

"Lea," the breath from Carter's soft voice calling my name tickled my ear. "Come on sleepy head, let's get you back to the house."

"Mm," I tightened my hold around Carter and buried my head farther into his neck as he stood with me in his arms. 

"Boss, Darrell and Miller can take your car back and I'll drive you and Lea in the Navigator," Lynx's quiet voice sounded nearby.

I could feel Carter hesitate before answering, "Fine. The keys are in my left jacket pocket, but I'm warning you all now, you wreck my car, the outcome won't be pretty." I could hear a hint of teasing under his threat.

Darrell's smirk was evident in his reply, "Oh ye of little faith, when are you going to learn to trust me?"

Carter was silent as he placed a feather light kiss on my forehead and started for Insomniac's exit. He continued to hold me close as he slid into the backseat and thanked Lynx for opening and then closing the door. I smiled inwardly as I remembered the time not too long ago when he would have only barked and growled out orders or said nothing at all. 

I giggled out at the thought as sleep slowly took me back under.  

* * * * * * * * * * 

I woke a little while later, laying in the seat of the Navigator and my head resting in Carter's lap. He was running his hands through my hair and had his head tilted back and eyes closed. I stifled a yawn and uncurled from the ball I was currently in, stretching my legs out slowly and carefully.

Lynx looked back through the mirror and spoke quietly as I sat up, "Have a good nap?" 

I nodded and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. "Yea, actually I did." I leaned forward and propped my elbow over the passenger seat, "How much longer?"

Lynx glanced around, looking for a marker and then at the Rolex on his wrist, "About thirty minutes or so."

Carter's eyes snapped open, his steel orbs wild and frantic until they found me. He reached over and wrapped his hand around my waist, pulling me back and into his side.

"Humph," I let out a surprised breath. "What in the hell was that for?"

I looked up and saw the fear in his eyes. I could see Lynx out of the corner of my eye shake his head and smile as he turned his attention back to the road.

"Don't ever leave me again." Carter's voice was quiet and pleading as he spoke.

I laid a hand on Carter's cheek and held his gaze as I spoke softly, "I'm not going anywhere."