what is love | one

Nobles, Royals, and Court members milled about in the huge ballroom. Many anxiously awaiting the appearances of the Princesses. It was not a typical gala or ball. Tonight was the start of a very important important event.

Tonight was the Welcoming Ball for the Tournament. The tournament to win Princess Sunmi's hand in marriage. Whomever won would rule alongside Sunmi to control the biggest kingdom on the continent.

Suddenly the doors creaked open, the room falling silent.

"Presenting the King!"

Out stepped the King. He was very old, and no longer had a Queen beside him. The Queen had died 10 years ago, and it was clear that the King's time was quickly approaching. That was only explanation to why he even made this tournament.

"Hello, friends and allies. I would like to thank you all for travelling out here, and I humbly welcome you to the Welcoming Ball." The King said, before making his way down his stairs.

"How long is this hag gonna take to get down these stairs." Duke Jongin joked to his best friend, Prince Sehun.

"Presenting Princess Irene, accompanied by Duke Johnny."

Princess Irene stepped out, wearing a large deep pink gown. It had long sleeves, and a scooped neckline that stopped just below the top of the breasts. The gown fell past her jewelled shoes, and the Late Queen's iconic diamond and ruby necklace was displayed proudly on her neck. In her raven tresses, sat a ruby tiara. Her hand softly grasped Duke Johnny's arm, as he helped her down the impossibly long stairs.

Once she reached the bottom of the stairs, the page looked back at his scroll.

"Presenting Princess Sani, accompanied by Count Taeyong."

The second youngest princess stepped out, wearing a deep blue gown similar to her older sister's. Except hers was off-the-shoulder and the sleeves ended just at the bottom of her breasts. Her long blonde hair, uncommon in the royal family, fell down her back and front. Perched on top of it was her own ruby tiara. She was accompanied by the crown jewellers son, Count Taeyong, who's arm she was currently grasping.

Many men around the room felt envy, knowing that if they lost this tournament, any chance at marrying into the Sun & Moon Kingdom would be gone. With Princess Irene abdicted from the throne, Princess Sani already being courted and Princess Jui not destined for marriage, Grand Princess Sunmi was their only shot.

"Presenting Princess Jui."

The youngest princess stood out alone, wearing a deep red gown, identical to Princess Sani's excluding the colour. Her hair was partially pulled up, but the majority of it cascaded down her back. A ruby tiara too was placed on her head, twinkling slightly. Stealthily, she caught glances with Lady Yeri, fighting hard to keep the smile of her face as she made it to the bottom of the stairs.

"Presenting Grand Princess Sunmi!"

Everyone held their breaths as the future Queen stepped into light. She wore a haltered emerald green gown, that slowly became covered with silver glitter. Sheer emerald green sleves covered her arms up until her knuckles. Her hair was piled high, showing off the ruby tiara in her hair. Her's however was outlined in pearls, not diamonds. She held the practiced pose at the top of stairs, allowing her suitors and all of nobles to bask in her beauty.

Prince Sehun smirked, basking in the Grand Princess's beauty. Yes, she was older than him, but if he bedded her, he'd win the game for sure.

Princess Sunmi took a breath before raising her hand to silence the crowds. The crowd hummed to a silence before Sunmi began to speak.

"Thank you for all attending and may the gods bless us all. Everyone, may the ball begin." Sunmi said, giving the crowd a rehearsed smile.

The crowd dispersed and the ball began. Sunmi sighed, slowly making her way through the crowd. Nearly an hour later she finally made it to the refreshments table. Her face hurt from smiling so much. She wanted to be queen, but she didn't want this stupid competition for her throne.

"Grand Princess Sunmi." Sunmi turned around at a familiar male voice.

"Lord Yixing." Sunmi said, smiling at her close friend.

Yixing gave her a formal bow before walking over.

"How do you feel, Queen to be." Yixing said, clasping Sunmi's hand.

"Tired honestly." Sunmi sighed, taking a sip of her spiced wine.

"Want me to stay by your side tonight?" Yixing asked.

"Yes, and where in the gods name is Mark?" Sunmi asked.

"His half-brother, Prince Minseok is here. He hasn't seen him in years." Yixing said.

"Oh, then I'll let him be. Can we go to Irene and Johnny?" Sunmi asked.

"Very well, afterwards I'll go inform Mark to enjoy the evening with his brother." Yixing said, holding out his arm for Sunmi. She gently took it before they made their way across the ballroom.

Her eyes widened as she spotted her sister, Irene and Duke Johnny.

"Irene!" Sunmi smiled geniunly as she greeted her sister and close friend.

"I'll go inform Mark now. Johnny, watch over her?" Yixing said.

"Wait, why don't you go with them?" Johnny suggested.

"What?" Sunmi asked, confused.

"Prince Xiumin is one of hundreds competing. From how powerful his kingdom is he'll most likely make it pretty far.
Why don't you test the waters and see what he's like?" Johnny suggested.

"Well-"

"Sis. As much as we both hate interacting with male nobles, you don't want to marry a guy you've never even talked to." Irene reassuringly said.

"I guess so. Johnny, make sure no bothers her tonight?" Sunmi said.

"Of course Sunmi." Johnny said, giving her a bright smile before she and Yixing walked off.

"Mark."

The young boy turned around at the sound of Sunmi's voice.

"Sun- I mean greetings your Highness. I formally apologize for not staying at my post." Mark said, dropping into a deep bow.

"It's fine Mark, rise."

The sheepish bodyguard stood up and then Sunmi looked over at Prince Minseok. He was incredibly handsome, with black hair that had a few wisps falling in front of his face. He gave a soft smile after bowing, showing off his soft cheeks and sharp jawline. He was only slightly taller than Sunmi and meet her in eyes when he spoke.

"Good to meet you, Your Highness. I'm Prince Minseok of the Ice Kingdom."

"Greetings, Prince Minseok."