Chapter 16 (fully edited) 1706

The next day I woke up, and Lee wasn't there. He was out already before I could even wake up. Honestly, with his recent behavior, I was not at all surprised. Lee still loved me, and I knew Lee had gotten drunk, and he didn't drink. He was stupid enough to go home after drinking. I mean, I guess he wasn't stupid enough to drive. At least there was some brain inside that head of his. I missed him. I mean, the night that we had laid in that bed and cuddled was one of the best nights of my life, and the night with Mystery Man was right up there with another great night. The level of intimacy was so different yet so similar. I felt the same way about both of them, and it was scary because I didn't want to end up in a love triangle. I felt like I was already in one because I cared for the mystery man, even after one night. How can he compare to someone I knew for years and had sex with?

I heard my phone buzz, and my mom entered through the door and sat on the chair next to the couch. She pointed out that there was something shiny in the couch cushions, walked over to the couch, and pulled out a beer bottle. She asked me if the beer bottle was mine. I said yes. She gave me a disturbing look, got off the couch, walked away, and slammed the door to her bedroom. I knocked on the door.

"Mom, you are going to school, right?"

"No, I'm just not feeling well at all today. Can you call them and tell them I am sick?" She was sleeping in bed, and I tried to pull the covers off her head, but she wouldn't budge.

"Yeah, sure," I admitted.

I called them and told them my mom was sick and wasn't going to school today. I hoped they weren't mad at her about that. I also told them that I wasn't feeling good either. The real reason was I had to be here for my mom even though she was upset with me. I mean, she didn't want her teenage daughter drinking? Even though she was mad at me, I would be here for her as she was for me.

She was always going out, and that irritated me. I didn't know if she was back to old drinking habits, which scared me. I cared about my mom because she made me who I was. Although there were things that I didn't really like about her, I loved her the way she was. Sometimes she irritated the crap out of me, or she acted bitchy; other times, I called her a bitch.

She always said if you don't think your mom was a bitch, every once in a while, she wasn't doing her job right. I went upstairs to my room and thought about it for a while. The sun was up, and my mouth was so dry. My mom started calling me from upstairs,

"Kylie, Kylie!!! Help me," I heard from the floor of my bedroom.

I ran downstairs, almost tumbling over myself. "Mom, are you okay?" I asked.

"No, I need help. My back hurts, and I need to go to the emergency room now."

"Mom, you know I can't drive!"

"I know, just call 911."

I proceeded to pick up the phone and dialed 911; they put me through the menu options. Then they answered the phone,

"Hello, 911 dispatcher; what's your emergency?"

"I don't know. My mom is in agonizing back pain."

"I need your address to send an ambulance to your location."

I told her our address, and they were there in about 10 minutes. I ran upstairs quickly to throw on a hoodie, so they didn't see my skin and divert attention from my mother. When I returned downstairs, the EMTs checked my mom's vitals and mental status.

"How long has she been like this?" asked the medical personnel.

"I don't know. She got home and then was mad at me, went to her room, and started having pain in her back. Please make sure my mom is okay, please?"