chapter thirty-seven.

"So . . . what are you gonna do with this dress?"

"I don't know. It was cute before it got wet and muddy."

Cardboard boxes took up all of Samira's apartment. Any clothes, furniture, or kitchenware was to be donated. She felt a distinct urge to purge herself of these. . . reminders. So far, her suitcase was stuffed with half of her wardrobe, a few books, and a bunch of gifts to bring back home.

"Are you going to dry clean it? Or give it back to Harry?" Alexia asked, sweeping the bedroom floor with a broom.

Samira frowned, looking at the ravaged yellow dress hanging in her otherwise emptied closet.

"I don't know," she mumbled. "I'll just have to donate it, I guess."

Samira lay on her bed, relieved that she wasn't doing this alone. Everything was cleaned and put away within the last two days. All of her friends had come over at some point that day to help out or give her something to take home: Fizza brought fresh food from her Baba's restaurant, Yaani and Natalie taped boxes, Waseem came with chocolates, and even Cameron stopped by to say his farewells, though it was in the usual reclusive manner. Small gestures like those were the greatest gift in and of themselves: She could almost forget the whirlwind of emotions she'd had to endure for the last month.

Tasneem closed a box: "There's someone coming to pick up all of this?"

"Yeah. Tomorrow morning." Samira sat back up, running a hand through her curls. "Fizza will take all of the stuff to the mosque a few blocks down. Muslim students dorm on the top floor and I thought they would appreciate these things."

"So you're giving everything?" Alexia sat down next to her, sighing. "That's very kind of you."

Samira shrugged, pursing her lips into a smile. It didn't quite hit her that she was leaving Liverpool𑁋so quickly had Wapa changed her flight. There was no judgment nor doubt in his voice when he told her she could come home early, and for that, she was grateful.

"Alright," Alexia began, looking around the vacant room. She dusted off her jeans. "I think we'll go now." She shot Samira a small, sideways smile.

Samira followed Tasneem and Alexia gingerly to the front door. Alexia reached over to squeeze her hand, a sincere look in her eye. A warm feeling filled Samira's chest.

"I know we didn't spend a lot of time together," Alexia said.

"I'm sorry we didn't," Samira replied remorsefully. "Thank you for all your help these last few days."

As they stood in front of the door, Alexia opened her arms, and Samira gladly accepted them. She nestled her head into Alexia's neck, relishing the comfort.

"You can always call me if you need anything," Alexia reminded, rubbing her back. "Give those sweets to your little brother, okay?"

"Of course. Thank you."

Tasneem turned to Samira: "I'll see you tomorrow. Don't cook or buy anything until then. I'll take care of that."

"I appreciate it," Samira nodded, grinning.

Alexia turned the knob, opening the door.

When the light from her apartment seeped into the hall, Samira's breath hitched. Her skin crawled as she froze in her steps. Utter silence.

Harry stood timidly in front of her.

"Oh . . . hello, Harry," Alexia greeted ineptly as she stepped into the hall. Tasneem followed, heading to her apartment, keeping her eyes to the floor.