chapter fifty-eight.

The usual death stare in the mirror had diminished.

Fresh out of the shower, Samira stared at her naked body that was once fragile. Opening her therapy journal, she read each sentence carefully.

Who cares if your tits are unsymmetrical.

I like your shoulders.

Your eyebrows are big, and it's lovely. You have long, pretty eyelashes.

Your curls are my favorite.

Your butt looks good. You've been eating well. I'm proud of you.

Your cookie pouch is literally your uterus.

Just say Masha-Allah.

A sharp breath left her lips. Flipping the journal closed, Samira raked her body from head to toe with a twirl and twist.

She began to dress slowly, scrutinizing everything, whether it jiggled, sagged, or remained still. Her vitality was evident in her thighs, stomach, and the layered chub in her neck. Her barbarian shoulders stood high—she liked how strong they were and how much weight they carried every day. Her long, curly black hair finally fell past her shoulder blades, without a knot nor frizz.

With the tug of her old jeans, they finally clung to her wide hips. Samira huffed, feeling her thighs squeeze into them.

The corners of her lips tingled upward the moment Samira took a step back, taking in every inch of her glory.

Aw. I love you.

After getting dressed in jeans and an oversized sweater, the adhan went off on her phone. Without a second thought, she unfolded the embroidered mat in her room, praying asr.

Omma left mutton rolls in the oven for Samira before she'd gone out to shop. Samira opened her laptop at the kitchen counter, munching as she typed away. Sakinah climbed up onto the counter, trotting from corner to corner. Samira clicked her tongue and smooched her lips, but Sakinah purred softly, licking her paws and rubbing the fur on her face—rolling her eyes, Samira gave up.

Zafri:

Zafri: I haven't heard from you in a while

Zafri: I haven't heard from you in a while. Can we hang out

Samira: I bothered you all last week

Samira: Don't wanna be clingy lol

Zafri: