Your Love Is My Drug - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Well, I suggest you two get going and start with unpacking some of the cookies and cakes out from their boxes," Mr. Hadley fussed, handing Zach his uniform. I quickly put the second plastic glove on, and made my way to the back cupboard where the food was stored. "And I think it's be helpful if you showed Zach around?" Mr. Hadley asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. I shrugged, and forced a smile.

"Uh, yeah sure," I answered, leaning against the store room door way. "Follow me." I waved my hand at Zach, signalling him to follow me. He looked up at me reluctantly, but made his way up to me anyway.

"So this is the store cupboard," I said, pointing to the space in front of us that was filled with large crates and cardboad boxes. I quickly took a glance at Zach, and noticed him rolling his eyes. I sighed, and continued walking. "These are the boxes that we're going to unpack," I said, pointing to a pile of wooden crates. "They're usually filled with ready-made cakes and stuff, so we don't have to bake them." Zach nodded, and put his hand on one of the boxes.

It was beginning to annoy me that he did say anything. It some how felt awkward, and only made me more nervous.

"Are you not gonna say anything?"  I suddenly asked, getting fed up of the awkward growing silence. Zach looked up at me and shrugged, before lifting one of the boxes and walking with it back to the shop.

"No one said I had to," he replied, and shut the door with his foot. Rolling my eyes, I went over and picked up one of the boxes closer to the ground. His attitude was really beginning to irritate me.

Trying my best to keep the box in my arms, I made my way back to the shop, where Zach was already unpacking some butter cookies and mini-muffins. I placed my box a couple inches from him, and peered on the counter for the box opening knife.

"Can you pass me that knife?" I asked. Zach turned to look at me with one raised eyebrow and a cocky smirk. I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Please?" He smirked again, before passing me the knife. I glared at him, and snatched the knife from his hands.

"Wow, where did your manners go to?" he questioned, emitting a low chuckle. I ignored him, and swiftly opened the tightly taped box. I tossed the knife back onto the counter, only causing it to tumble back at me. I quickly moved out of the way so that it dropped onto the floor. Zach looked and me and shook his head.

"Clumsy are we?" he asked, putting the final packets of muffins on the rack. I growled and started unpacking my box. I was just about to put another packet of biscuits onto the pile I put on the counter, when I saw a shadow cowering over me. I looked up and saw a customer peering down at me.

"Excuse me, do you think you could pass me a packet of those butter cakes?" she asked, taking out her purse. I nodded.

"Uh, yeah of course!" I replied, standing up. While doing so, I by accident knocked the pile of biscuit packets off the counter, making them fall to the floor. I quickly tried to pick them up, and suddenly felt the presence of someone next to me.

"Can I help you ma'am?" I heard Zach say. I looked up at him to see him smirking at me. I growled again and picked up the last packets of biscuits and putting them on their racks.

"Yes, I'd like a packet of butter cookies; the ones without the sugar glazing," the woman replied. Zach nodded, and went over and picked up one of the packets.

"Will one do?" The woman nodded.

"Yes, that'll be fine." Zach put it in one of the plastic bags we offered, and handed it to her.

"Anything else?" The woman shook her head.

"No thank you, this will do." Zach nodded and quickly checked the price tag on the rack.

"That'll be 1.5O," he said. The woman handed him some money, and he put it in the till. "Have a nice day!" The woman smiled, and waved.

"And to you too!" she replied, and headed out of the store. Zach then turned to look at me, and smirked.

"You don't have the necessary marketing skills, do you?" I pouted and shot him a glare.

"Today is not my day," I responded, and turned away from him. Although my back was turned to him, I could feel him staring right through me. And it wasn't just an ordinary glare. I turned to look at him again and raised one of my eyebrows.

"Why are you looking at me?" I asked, feeling my cheeks go red again. He shrugged, and started making his way to the store room.

"No reason," he replied, and shut the door. I shook my head and followed him. This kid was really confusing me.