Chapter TwentyFour

Everything felt cloudy, like I was oxygen deprived. Or I was having an out of body experience, none of it felt real, Yet my body continued on without my approval or consent. I didn't even need to look around,my eyes where closed. I didn't need to see where i was going, because it was already ingrained in me. 
Distantly, I could feel my heart thudding in my chest.
Like so many times before I felt like I was in a dream, it was the same as when I was out demon hunting I wasn't in control of myself at all. But this time I wasn't in attack mode, I was in flight. I knew I needed to get away, my body completely in control, not synchronized at all with my mind.
I was getting out. 
Or at least I was trying.
So distantly, like a long forgotten memory, I heard snow crunching beneath my feet. I knew my feet where bare, I could feel the bite of ice between my toes. but I wasn't bothered, my hands where hot.
I didn't know where I was or where I was going, but before I could get to my destination, I was stopped. My hands suddenly went cold, and the strength that was driving me forward and consuming me disappeared. I fell down, started to rebound hard off the frozen ground. My shoulder immediately went numb with pain.
McKenzie Adams, put your hand up! The voice was loud and echoing, like it was being enhanced some how… By a speaker-phone….
My mind suddenly snapped back to the night that started it all. Me,standing alone alongside the corpses of my supposed victims. I was back in that night. Back to feeling guilty. Back to the end of my life.
My eyes flashed open and I stumbled back to my feet when I saw where I was.
I was outside, at the perimeter of the gate.  My ankles felt weak as i stood there trying to make myself steady. 
As soon as I…..……. Realized I was outside, I started to feel the cold. The icy wind lashed out at my skin, burning my eyes. I could feel icicles building up in my hair. The sky was white with clouds and swirls of snow. The razor wire rimmed fence  had a huge gaping hole in it. It looked like someone had cut it to escape. The edges looked burnt... Had I done that?
Stop! Put your hands up. The voice shouted again, I whipped round and saw the Guards surrounding me. I couldn't move, the cold was making me feel more tired than I could have thought. Before I could even fully understand what was going on, I fell back to the floor. My world going sideways as my head slammed into the ground.
And then as the guards rushed at me, everything went dark.

*

Sam was running around, going crazy, trying to find Kenzi. He Should have started freaking out when everyone was being counted in, but he had thought she must be alright. 
He had gotten pretty good at rounding Kenzi up when she had slept walked in the night. It was difficult, sometimes she ended up in places even he didn't know how to get to, but he had been able to catch her before she ran into any trouble or harm.
When Sam didn't see her standing next to chess in the morning, he just thought that she must have wandered off in her sleep and Most probably was curled up on a couch some where, dreaming. like she had yesterday when she had skipped out on therapy and they found  her in the common room. But he had checked the common room. He had checked everywhere, and he still couldn't find her.
And he was starting to get seriously worried.
He had even pulled Adam aside to check if he had seen her. Adam hadn't. Sam didn't know quite how he felt about that. Adam told him that he shouldn't be worried, Kenzi was strong. She could take care of herself. Sam agreed. There was none he had ever met that was as strong as Kenzi, but this p!ace was dangerous, and he couldn't get rid of the fear he felt deep in his chest. And Adam was distracted, he said something about a meeting scheduled with one of the doctors about something he did last night. Something he had done which may have a thing or two over the huge blossoming bruise over his cheekbones.
Had he gotten into a fight?
Sam didn't pay much attention through, he was too concentrated on finding Kenzi.
He had looked everywhere around the institute, but it was almost the end of breakfast and there was no sign of her. So, starting to panic, he returned to the dinner hall to see if she was there.
She wasn't.
Chess however, was. She sat in the corner of the room with Jake. None of them where talking and she looked spaced out.
Sam ignored Adam, who was once again sitting with a gang that was dwindling more and more in numbers each day, and he walked over to chess and Jake. 
Have you seen her? He asked straight away, sitting down next to the other boy.
No. Jake said, not looking away from chess. 
Chess, have you? Sam continued, looking pointedly at the girl with the long dark hair.
No. She'll be fine. She might just be asleep somewhere. Chess replied, looking spaced out.
She's not, I can't find her anywhere! He snapped, his frustration getting the better of him. He leaned in closer to his friends. Knowing that the guards hanging around could hear something that Sam would say that may be detrimental to them.
What if they've taken her? He whispered. Chess looked up for the first time, her eyes a little vacant, her expression scaring him a little.
All the more reason for us to continue with the plan. She said. 
You can't be serious, we can't do this without her!
We do it now or we won't be able to do it at all. Look, there's Dr Saunders now. She said, pointing over to the doctor as she entered the room holding a clipboard.
What? We can't do this now chess,  there is literally no way. 
She glared at Sam. Don't. Worry, we can get her out, but we'll need That key.  She snapped, then before either of them could respond, she got up and started towards The doctor.