Chapter Five

There had been so many things that had happened to Sam that he never would have expected. Like the time when he was told that the monsters under his bed where real, and the time that he was told that he was going to have to learn how to fight them. But never, never did he think, for even a moment that he would see this girl in real life. He just stared at her, waiting for her to turn into someone else, to not be real, unable to comprehend any of it.

She looked real.

He was well aware that he should probably stop staring. But she didn’t look away so neither did he. She was defiant, staring him down. She had the appearance of a fighter despite her small appearance, she looked like the kind of girl that would stab you in the eye just to prove that she could.

He couldn't help himself from grinning.

Her eyes were huge and brown flecked with yellow, framed by long, dark lashes. Her hair was cut short, choppy and uneven. It didn't look like that in his dream, it had been a lot longer. There was a darkness in her eyes as she watched him, but he didn't know what it was. Some strands of her hair hung over her face. She didn’t appear to notice it, that or she just didn’t care. Her skin was pale and clear, except for a scattering of golden freckles across her cheeks and bruises that ran along the length of her arms. She was much smaller than him, her uniform looking too big on her slight frame, yet she stood proud. She stood like a warrior.

She's not real, there is no way that she could be real.

She was a thing that he only saw when he closed his eyes. She was one of the people that he saw in his dreams. Never in a million lifetimes would he have believed that he would see her in real life. And was it just him or did she appear to recognize him to?

No, that couldn't be possible, that couldn’t-

“Err... Your arm.” She pointed out, breaking the silence and the voices in his head. Sam looked down at his arm and saw that when he had turned around he hadn’t kept his arm under the water. Despite a numb sensation that had crept into his arm, stopping him from feeling the pain, he was still bleeding and the blood was dripping over his grey clothes.

“Oh, yeah” He replied, embarrassed. Turning back to the tap and letting the cool water wash away the blood. Standing there, he was overly aware that she still stood near him. Then he heard the almost silent padding noise as she approached him.

“Here, I think you’ll need this. You know, to stop the blood flow, or something?” She said uncertainly, not flinching away from the blood as she stood next to him, passing a towel over. 

He froze, his breath catching in his throat. She was so close to him, he could feel her warmth and he noticed the scent of something sweet, like vanilla.

“Thanks.” He replied, taking the towel from her, their hands so close he could feel her warmth, but not touching. She turned around and leaned against the counter, watching him as the water turned red with his blood.

“Have we met before?” She asked quickly, like she wanted the words out of her mouth as fast as possible. She pulled face, biting at her lower lip. Sam found himself smiling at her before he remembered to answer.

“Err, no. I don't think so.” He couldn't tell her that he had dreamed about her. That was be too weird. Even for a patient in a mental institute.

“Oh.” She said looking puzzled. Her eyebrows narrowing together, she looked almost childish.

“Does it hurt?” She asked her voice now quite and concerned. He looked over to her, a tentative smile on his face. He couldn't help it.

“It’s fine, trust me.” He told her as he took the towel and wrapped it around his arm. Jake would never believe this.