Chapter Seventeen

Sam’s face was bright red as Adam punched him, bruises already beginning to blossom on his skin.

Adam was going to far, he knew that. He was letting himself lose control and that was never good idea. If he was in his usual state of mind he would make himself stop, tell himself that the other boy had enough of a beating and there needed to be a different course of action. But Adam was furious, Sam had hurt Kenzi, the one thing that he was sure he would never do. There was a lot of things that Adam would never forgive Sam for, but this was the one thing that made Adam feel like he wasn't going to stop hitting till Sam no longer breathed. “You stole my life. If I had went instead of you...then everything would have been so different. But no,it's not like that you are the hero of this story and I'm just the bad guy aren't I? Everything I could ever have, you've stolen from me. Being free from this place, having a family... Kenzi. Even when you have her you fucking try to kill her. How is any of that fair?” Adam stood up slowly to stand over Sam who was now groaning on the floor. If Adam wasn't so blinded by fury, then he would have seen the skin on the other boys face begin to bubble, to change slightly under the surface. Or see his iris’s turn black. He would have seen that the being under him was not Sam.

“So, what crazy excuse is it this time?” He demanded. When Sam didn't answer, Adam kicked him hard in the stomach. “Tell me dammit. Why would you hurt her? ALL THAT STUPID SHIT WITH THE DARKSIDERS, IT’S NOT REAL, SHE’S NOT DANGEROUS! I’VE FUCKIN’ SEEN HER FILE!”

When Adam yelled, he felt like his vocal cords would snap, but he didn’t care. All he could think about was the anger he felt.

Sam rolled away from Adam, getting up before he had a chance to bring him back down. Ducking out of the way of Adams fists, Sam managed to get to the door and throw it open.

Adam reached for him, but Sam gave him a sharp kick at his knees, causing his legs to crumple and fall back. If he was in his right mind, then Adam would have noticed that this was not how Sam usually acted, not that any of this was how Sam would usually act. But this specifically was out of character. Sam would run when he needed to, but he wasn’t a coward, he would fight back, especially against Adam. So when he fled from the other boy, it should have been a red flag, but Adam didn’t have the clarity in his mind to think about that right now, he had lost control.

“You are not running away from this! Not like before, I am not letting you run away again!” Adam shouted as he chased the other boy down the room, but when Adam got out into the hall, he halted, seeing something that made him feel like he was going insane.

*

Sam walked quickly down the hall, feeling a growing sense of panic in his gut. Like his insides where burning as he was gripped with this frozen, unshakable fear.

He needed to get to her, before something truly bad happened.

He was so sure that Kenzi was in danger, he had no idea how he knew but he was sure of his instincts. It was insane and didn’t make any sense but none of this did.

Finally getting towards the dormitory corridor, Sam froze, watching as he ran towards himself from the other end of the hall.

What? Was he now hallucinating himself now? It was the same as last night, when he was dreaming, when he was attacked by a demon version of himself. And sure enough his eyes where black like the demons. Both of them halted, standing opposite each other like there was a mirror between them. Sure there was minute differences, bruises spread across the dark Sam's face like someone had thrown purple paint at him. But both of their eyes reflected fear. Sam had to clench his hands to stop himself from crying out.

He had hurt Kenzi.

The moment that the thought had popped into Sam's head, he knew that it was true. Just like when he had listened to the lullaby protocol, this thing had hurt the only person he cared about.